These Clean Eating Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars are perfect if you love the pumpkin and chocolate combination…like me.
I might need to go ahead and admit now that I have a little obsession with this flavor combination and some of my favorites are my Pumpkin Ice Cream and Brownie Parfait, Grain-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies, Pumpkin Nut Butter Cups, or my Vegan Pumpkin Pie with Cacao Drizzle…just to name a few.
I think it would be safe to say it runs a close second only to the peanut butter and chocolate combination.
Not only do these bars have a chocolate crust, but a creamy pumpkin filling loaded with chocolate chips.
And best of all…they’re healthy and super easy to make!
You can have them mixed up and in the refrigerator to firm up in less than 10 minutes using only a food processor.
Making homemade desserts with ingredients you can control is always a better option than buying store-bought desserts.
Here’s the ingredient list for store-bought pumpkin bars:
Pumpkin Bars with Walnuts
Ingredients: PUMPKIN, MILK CONDENSED SWEETENED (MILK WHOLE, SUGAR), FLOUR UNBLEACHED UNBROMATED, VEGETABLES SHORTENING PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED (SOYBEANS AND COTTONSEED OIL), WALNUTS, EGGS WHOLE, SUGAR, SUGAR BROWN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF THE FOLLOWING: (MILK NON FAT, CINNAMON, SALT, ALLSPICE PIMENTA, EMULSIFIERS (MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN), FLAVORS ARTIFICIAL, COLORS ARTIFICIAL (source)
FoodFacts.com Rating: “F”
It contains dairy, GMO’s, refined sugars and artificial colors and flavors.
This healthier version is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly, no-bake and contains no refined sugar.
5 Fast Facts About Pumpkin:
- high in beta-carotene
- full of iron, zinc and vitamin C
- rich in anti-oxidants
- 280% RDA of vitamin A
- good source of B complex vitamins
5 Fast Facts About Cashews (Cashew Butter):
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Flour:
- highest dietary fiber found in any flour at 58% RDA
- 14% coconut oil
- 19% vegan protein
- helps to promote blood sugar health
5 Fast Facts About Vanilla Bean Powder:
- high in anti-oxidants
- can help reduce inflammation
- contains small traces of minerals
- 1 teaspoon contains 3 g of protein and 3 g of fiber
5 Fast Facts About Nutmeg:
- helps improve concentration
- increases circulation
- good source of copper, potassium, iron and zinc
- high in B-complex vitamins
- contains anti-fungal properties
5 Fast Facts About Clove:
- 2 teaspoons contain 126.4% DV of manganese
- 2 teaspoons contain 5.6% DV of fiber
- rich in minerals iron and potassium
- contains anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory properties
- helps aid in elimination of fungus, bacteria and parasites
Where To Buy: If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients to make this recipe, you can order online from Amazon and have them delivered straight to your door and you’ll be supporting The Healthy Family and Home website at the same time!
Tip #1: Feel free to adjust the pumpkin spices (nutmeg, clove, vanilla) to your preference.
Tip #2: This recipe will make 14 – 16 bars using an 8 x 8 baking dish.