I continue to be amazed at the flourless, grain-free and gluten-free desserts I have made lately. First, the Vegan Flourless Zucchini Brownies, the Flourless Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies, the Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies and now these Flourless Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies.
My brain just can’t comprehend how you can get a dessert that is moist and crumbly like a regular flour-filled dessert, but have absolutely no flour at all.
It’s like you mix everything up thinking, “there is no way this is going to come out like a brownie/cookie/etc” and while it bakes, something magical happens, because it does!
It really does!
I did a search and found a couple of traditional peanut butter swirl brownies and found lists containing these ingredients:
Traditional Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
Ingredients: 1 pound unsalted butter, 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, 6 extra-large eggs, 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules, 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract, 2 1/4 cups sugar, 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
Let me re-emphasize a few ingredients…1 POUND of butter, 6 eggs, 2 1/4 CUPS of sugar and 1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
Now let me share a healthy brownie recipe with you that’s not only flourless, but vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and no refined sugar that you can enjoy without any guilt!
5 Fast Facts About Peanuts (Peanut Butter):
- excellent source of vitamin E
- high in folate
- contains tryptophan which helps fight depression
- good source of fiber
- excellent source of vegan protein
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cups contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Flax Seeds:
- high in omega-3 essential fatty acids
- contains soluble and insoluble fiber
- super high in lignans
- provides anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits
- provides cardiovascular benefits
5 Fast Facts About Cacao Powder:
- contains over 300 compounds including protein, calcium, copper, zinc and iron
- super high in anti-oxidants
- promotes cardiovascular health
- contains essential fats
- can help to decrease blood pressure
5 Fast Facts About Pink Himalayan Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
Where to Buy: If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients to make this recipe, you can order online from Amazon and have them delivered straight to your door…and you’ll be supporting The Healthy Family and Home website at the same time!
Tip #1: I’ve made these several times and a couple of times I’ve reduced the maple syrup down to 1/2 cup and they did fine and another time, I used raw coconut crystals to reduce the amount of sweetener. However, they seem to hold up best with the original recipe amount of 2/3 cup of maple syrup.
Tip #2: This recipe was enough to make a small batch in a 5 x 9 glass baking dish. I cut them into bite-sized pieces for myself, but if you were making them for a family or larger group, you would need to double or triple the recipe.
Tip #3: This would be a good recipe to use with your homemade peanut butter!
Tip #4: You don’t want the peanut butter swirl layer on the top to be too thick. I’ve eye’d the peanut butter swirl amount before instead of measuring it out, and if you have too much, the peanut butter flavor takes over the chocolate brownie flavor too much. You just want a thin layer of swirl – more brownie than swirl.