This Gluten-Free “Puppy Chow” aka “Muddy Buddies” recipe is a classic, easy, fun dessert that everyone in the family will love.
It takes about 5 minutes to make and needs only 5 ingredients!
Some traditional versions use butter (even margarine!) and S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) “Rice Chex” cereal in the ingredients.
In this healthier version, I recommend using a Non-GMO and gluten-free rice cereal. I’ve used both “Barbara’s Puffins” brand and “Van’s” brand which I like because the squares are much smaller and puffier than regular, thinner rice cereal squares and they’re slightly sweetened.
I couldn’t officially call the recipe “vegan” since the brands of cereal I recommend and used do contain honey, but you could use “Rice Chex” for a 100% vegan option.
Non-Vegan + Gluten-Free (Recommended):
- Barbara’s Puffins Honey Rice Cereal – Ingredients: Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour, Cane Sugar, Fructan (Nutraflora Prebiotic Dietary Fiber), Non-GMO Honey, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Tocopherols. GLUTEN-FREE, Non GMO Project Verified, Corn-Free, No Artificial Flavors, No Artificial Colors, No High Fructose Corn Syrup.
- Van’s Honey Crunch Cereal – Ingredients: Whole Grain Blend (Oat, Brown Rice, Millet, Quinoa, Amaranth Flours), Cane Sugar, Oat Fiber, Inulin, Invert Cane Sugar, Salt, Honey, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavors, Mixed Tocopherols. GLUTEN-FREE, Non-GMO Project Verified, Corn-Free, No Artificial Flavors, No Artificial Colors, No High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Vegan + Gluten-Free (Not Recommended):
- Chex Gluten-Free Rice Cereal – Ingredients: Whole Grain Rice, Rice, Sugar, Salt, Molasses, Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols) and BHT Added to Preserve Freshness, Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Iron and Zinc (Mineral Nutrients), Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), a B Vitamin (Niacinamide), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride HCl), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), Vitamin A (Palmitate), a B Vitamin (Folic Acid), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3. (source)
I also make this recipe with both cashew butter and peanut butter so feel free to use either. And, if you are worried about the sugar content, you can always leave off the powdered sugar coating…they are just as addictive without it!
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Healthy Peanut Butter Cups, Healthy Vegan Chocolate Mousse, Gluten-Free Vegan Pecan Pie Bars or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Cashews (Cashew Butter):*
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Sugar:*
- low glycemic (GI of 35)
- raw, vegan and gluten-free
- unrefined and unbleached
- contains 17 amino acids
- is an abundant source of minerals and broad spectrum B vitamins
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.