Homemade waffles are one of the foods on my list that I make for my family but am unable to enjoy myself, because they aren’t gluten-free.
But I found this recipe for not only a gluten-free waffle, but grain-free, dairy-free and vegan as well.
The ingredient list is very simple, not using a complicated list of gluten-free flours and ingredients but chickpea flour.
While the original recipe describes them as a “savory” waffle as opposed to a sweeter-type waffle, they were perfect for me and I added a touch of extra sweetness to mine with some homemade coconut cream and wild blueberries.
Homemade is always best, but you’d never want to forgo homemade for boxed waffles. Here is the ingredient list for Kellogg’s Buttermilk Waffles:
Ingredients: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, VITAMIN B1 [THIAMIN MONONITRATE], VITAMIN B2 [RIBOFLAVIN], FOLIC ACID), WATER, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN, PALM, AND/OR CANOLA OIL), EGGS, BUTTERMILK, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF SALT, SOY LECHITHIN. (source)
Vitamins and Minerals: CALCIUM CARBONATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B1 (THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN). (source)
- Soybean Oil/Soy Lecithin – soy is a well known and documented GMO ingredient. Unless it is labeled “organic” or is labeled “Non-GMO Project Verified”, we can only assume it’s made from GMO soy.
- Canola Oil – canolia oil is a well known and documented GMO ingredient. Unless it is labeled “organic” or is labeled “Non-GMO Project Verified”, we can only assume it’s made from GMO canola.
- Salt – processed, toxic iodized salt
- Sugar – refined, processed, bleached sugar
- Eggs – if they aren’t organic or pasture eggs, it’s highly likely they are coming from farms that use antibiotics, hormones, fed GMO grains, etc.
- Buttermilk - if it’s not organic or the milk you are consuming is not coming from a local, family farm, it’s highly likely the milk is coming from factory-farmed cows that have been given antibiotics, hormones, fed GMO grains, etc.
- Baking Soda/Sodium Aluminum Phosphate – highly likely that it’s not aluminum-free
- Vitamins/Minerals – synthetic and made in a laboratory
5 Fast Facts About Chickpeas (Chickpea Flour):
- excellent source of fiber
- good source of protein
- can help lower cholesterol
- provides better regulation of blood sugar
- can help decrease cardiovascular risks
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Milk):
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Apple Cider Vinegar:
- anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal
- maintains proper pH balance in the body
- regulates blood pressure
- helps to reduce bad cholesterol
- loaded with potassium
5 Fast Facts About Pink Himalayan Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
5 Fast Facts About Tahini (Sesame Seeds):
- high in calcium at 35% RDA
- excellent anti-oxidant
- lowers cholesterol
- reduces inflammation
- high in phytosterol
5 Fast Facts About Extra Virgin Olive Oil:
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
Where to Buy: If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients to make this recipe, you can order online from Amazon and have them delivered straight to your door…and, you’ll be supporting The Healthy Family and Home website at the same time!