These cute little Clean Eating Gluten-Free Vegan Gingerbread Cookies are a healthy replacement for traditional gingerbread cookies that are normally made with white flour, butter, eggs and decorated with food colorings and GMO sugar-filled candy toppings.
They are bite-sized and have the gingerbread flavor with an optional unrefined sugar dusted topping.
Although you might miss out on getting to use a gingerbread man cookie cutter with these, you can still have fun in the kitchen with your little ones by making them into balls then flattening them into a cookie shape. And, they’ll have lots of fun dipping them in sugar (optional) before baking them too!
Whether you buy a boxed gingerbread mix or make a traditional version from scratch, the ingredients are not good.
Here’s the ingredient list for a popular store-bought box version:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cookie Mix Ingredients:
Ingredients: Enriched Flour Bleached (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sugar, Molasses, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil, Maltodextrin, Baking Soda, Spice, Cinnamon, Salt (source)
That’s -bleached- flour, GMO white sugar, soybean oil and maltodextrin, and white refined salt.
And traditional homemade gingerbread cookies aren’t much better with the following typical ingredients:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Typical Homemade Gingerbread Cookie Ingredients:
Typical Ingredients: white all-purpose flour, margarine or butter and eggs
This healthier version is made with clean, real food ingredients and they’re vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, paleo-friendly and contain no refined sugar.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Spice Thumbprint Cookies, Flourless Chocolate Fudge Mint Cookies, Healthy Peanut Butter Cups or my Clean Eating eCookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Flour and Almond Butter):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Sugar:*
- low glycemic (GI of 35)
- raw, vegan and gluten-free
- unrefined and unbleached
- contains 17 amino acids
- is an abundant source of minerals and broad spectrum B vitamins
5 Fast Facts About Cinnamon:*
- contains anti-inflammatory properties
- helps to control blood sugar
- excellent source of manganese and iron
- can help to lower bad cholesterol
- aids in eliminating migraine headaches
5 Fast Facts About Cloves:*
- 2 teaspoons contain 126.4% DV of manganese
- 2 teaspoons contain 5.6% DV of fiber
- rich in minerals iron and potassium
- contains anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory properties
- helps aid in elimination of fungus, bacteria and parasites
5 Fast Facts About Ginger:*
- excellent for gastrointestinal relief
- anti-inflammatory benefits
- promotes immune boosting
- increases blood flow and relaxes peripheral blood vessels
- anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral
5 Fast Facts About Vanilla Bean Powder:*
- high in anti-oxidants
- can help reduce inflammation
- contains small traces of minerals
- 1 tablespoon contains 2 g of fiber
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Where to Buy:
Make sure you check out my Shopping Resources section to see all the places I purchase ingredients and equipment to make the recipes on my website!
To order the highest quality, organic spices from Primal Palate, click here.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.