I’ve bought several different brands of peanut butter over the years, improving and changing brands each time I’ve moved one step closer to cleaner eating.
This is by far the cleanest peanut butter you can make.
It’s made from 100% organic peanuts, nothing else.
And it takes less than 10 minutes to make with a good food processor.
The other nice thing about it is that you can store it in a glass jar instead of the plastic containers they usually come in.
Here’s what the ingredient list looks like on a jar of Great Value (Walmart) Creamy Peanut Butter:
Ingredients: PEANUTS, SUGAR, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (RAPESEED, COTTONSEED, SOYBEAN), DEXTROSE, SALT, MOLASSES, MONOGLYCERIDES.
- Soybean/Rapeseed (aka Canola Oil) – soy and canola are both well known and documented GMO ingredients. Unless it is labeled “organic” or is labeled “Non-GMO Project Verified”, we can only assume it’s made from GMO soy and canola products.
- Salt – processed, toxic iodized salt
- Sugar – refined, processed, bleached sugar
- Dextrose – obtained from a plant source, usually corn. Corn is a well know and documented GMO ingredient. Unless it is labeled “organic” or is labeled “Non-GMO Project Verified”, we can only assume it’s made from GMO corn.
- Monoglycerides - A glycerol molecule is combined with either one (mono) or two (di) fatty acids to create a synthetic fat. Derived from the either vegetable oils, such as (soybean, sunflower, palm, cottonseed or canola) or animal fats (beef or pork). This is a common food additive most often used to blend ingredients together that would not otherwise blend well. (source).
5 Fast Facts About Peanuts:
- excellent source of vitamin E
- high in folate
- contains tryptophan which helps fight depression
- good source of fiber
- excellent source of protein with 8 g in 2 tablespoons
Here are some of my favorite recipes you can use with your homemade peanut butter: