Quinoa and Fruit Breakfast Porridge
This healthy Quinoa and Fruit Breakfast Porridge is a nice alternative to oatmeal in the morning.
You can either make your quinoa in the morning, or even use leftover from dinner the night before.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can customize it to your favorite fruit or whatever you have on hand at the time.
And, you can also adjust the sweetness to your like and can even enjoy it warm or cold.
5 Fast Facts About Quinoa:
- high in anti-oxidants
- high in magnesium (20.9% DV) and folate (19.5% DV)
- complete protein containing 9 essential amino acids
5 Fast Facts About Coconut:
- 2 tablespoons contain 4.6 g RDA of dietary fiber
- healthy source of medium-chain fatty acids
- can help to decrease cholesterol
- high in lauric acid
- excellent source of manganese at 60% RDA and iron at 11% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Peaches:
- rich in potassium and iron
- high amounts of potassium at 333 mg
- excellent anti-oxidant
- 1 peach contains 3 g of fiber
- contains 10 different vitamins including 11.6 mg of vitamin C
Tip #1: Use your favorite fruit or whatever you have on hand…peaches, blueberries, strawberries, goji berries, pineapples, bananas, etc.
Tip #2: I’ve made mine with fresh, hot quinoa and served it warm and it was really good. I’ve also made it with leftover quinoa and it was just as good.
Tip #3: You can use whatever sweetener you’d like to sweeten it to your preference. You could even make it low-sugar by using Stevia, or raw coconut crystals.
Quinoa and Fruit Breakfast Porridge (Vegan, GF)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup homemade coconut cream
- 2 cups organic peaches (diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- sweetener of your choice (to taste)
||Prepare quinoa according to your package directions. |
Combine cooked quinoa, diced peaches, homemade coconut cream, sweetener of your choice and pink himalayan salt in a medium sized bowl and stir until well combined.
Top with additional peaches or coconut cream, if desired.
Recipe source: http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2013/03/18/strawberries-and-cream-quinoa-breakfast-recipe/#.UgeJzY1wqn0
How To Make Homemade Whipped Coconut Cream
The Healthy Family and Home
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1 - 2 teaspoon organic vanilla
- 1 - 2 tablespoon organic raw coconut crystals (or other sweetener of your choice)
||Refrigerate can of coconut milk overnight in the refrigerator. |
When you remove the can, there will be a layer of thick cream on the top and coconut water on the bottom.
Scoop out the thick cream and put it in an electric mixer bowl.
Mix on high setting with the "wisk" attachment until it becomes thick.
Add the vanilla extract and sweetener of your choice.
Continue to "wisk" for another minute or so.
Use as a topping on fruit, granola, pancakes, desserts, etc.
Store in a glass container in the refrigerator.