It just doesn’t get any easier than this my friends. A raw, vegan cream of mushroom soup that can be made in less than 5 minutes in a Vitamix and is full of fresh flavor.
I guess one reason that people would use canned soup is for the convenience, but when it’s just a matter of putting all the ingredients into your Vitamix and turning it on until it’s mixed, there just isn’t any excuse.
And, the trade off for that convenience in the form of toxic ingredients just isn’t worth it.
Here are the ingredients from a can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup:
Ingredients: WATER, MUSHROOMS, VEGETABLE OIL (CORN, COTTONSEED, CANOLA, AND/OR SOYBEAN), MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, WHEAT FLOUR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, DEHYDRATED CREAM (CREAM [MILK], SOY LECITHIN), YEAST EXTRACT, FLAVORING, DEHYDRATED GARLIC (source)
- Corn, Cottonseed, Canola and Soybean Oil – well known and documented GMO ingredients. Unless it is labeled “organic” or is labeled “non-GMO Project Verified”, we can only assume it’s made from GMO products.
- Wheat Flour – not good if you are gluten-free or trying to avoid wheat products
- Modified Food Starch – is prepared by physically, enzymatically or chemically treating native starch, thereby changing the properties of the starch (source)
- Flavoring – a sneaky way for companies to hide ingredients they don’t want you to know about
- Salt – processed, toxic iodized salt
- Soy Protein and Soy Lecithin – well known and documented GMO ingredients. Unless it is labeled “organic” or “non-GMO Project Verified”, we can only assume it’s made from GMO products
- Cream/Milk – if it’s not organic, it’s from cows that have been given antibiotics, hormones, fed GMO grains, etc.
- Yeast Extract – a taste enhancer and another form of MSG (source)
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) – you do not want to be eating this or worse serve it to your children (source)
- “Campbell Soups” are a part of the Campbell Soup Family which contributed $179,545 to oppose the labeling of foods containing GMO’s (source)
If the ingredient list was strike 1, then the BPA-lined can would be strike 2 and the fact that Campbell’s Soup Company contributed $179,545 to oppose GMO labeling and your right to know what’s in your food would definitely be strike 3.
Sorry processed, GMO fake soup.
5 Fast Facts About Mushrooms:
- excellent source of potassium
- rich source of riboflavin, niacin and selenium
- supports a healthy immune system
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
- good source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Onions:
- rich source of healthy sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- can help reduce blood pressure
- can help lower blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” monosaturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Avocados:
- excellent source of vitamin E
- contains 25 essential nutrients
- contains 2 – 3 times the potassium as 1 banana
- has anti-inflammatory properties
- can help lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- can help lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Pink Himalayan Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
Tip #1: I used 1 cup of cashews instead of 1/2 to make sure it was extra thick and creamy and it was!
Tip #2: If you want it slightly warmed, you can blend it in your Vitamix for about 2 minutes.