This month’s theme for The Redipe Redux is:
“The New Year is heating up with smoke and spiciness. From boldly flavored smoked salts to actual smoking techniques, subtly smoked food is on-trend. The same can be said for spice as we savor heat from harissa, sriracha and smoked paprika. Show us the healthy dish you’re heating up with smoke and/or spiciness.”
Smashed potatoes are a classic side dish…about as common as a baked potato.
They are baby potatoes that are boiled, smashed, brushed with extra-virgin olive oil and then roasted to give them a soft potato on the inside and a crispy outside.
But I jazzed this side dish up a little bit with the special sauce that has the smokey flavor from smoked paprika and a little heat from the habanero pepper.
And, if you are serving this to different family members who don’t all like a hot dip, you can just serve the roasted smashed potatoes by themselves!
Want some more healthy side dish recipes? Check out Spicy Lemon Sauteed Broccolini, Acorn Squash Rings with Walnuts and Dried Apricots, Rosemary and Garlic Sweet Potato Medallions or my Clean Eating eCookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating Side Dishes that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Potatoes:*
- one potato contains 16% dv of fiber
- one potato contains 39% of vitamin B6
- good source of zinc, copper and magnesium
- contains more potassium than a banana
- 20% of a potatoes nutrients are in it’s skin
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:*
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Lemons:*
- extremely alkaline
- blood purifier
- excellent for detoxification
- balances blood sugar levels
- contains powerful anti-bacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Paprika:*
- boosts blood circulation
- one teaspoon contains 20% DV of vitamin A
- aids digestion
5 Fast Facts About Habanero Peppers:*
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
- helps decrease cancer risk
- contains capsaicin to help prevent obesity
- helps to lower cholesterol and blood pressure
- excellent anti-oxidant
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: The variety of organic potatoes I used were called “Honey Gold” and they have the pretty golden color on the inside. I bought them at Whole Foods, but feel free to use whatever variety you can find or have on hand.
Tip #2: I garnished my potatoes with chopped kale, but you could also use chopped cilantro or parsley too.
Tip #3: The potatoes are really good even without the sauce, so if you have little ones or don’t like spicy foods, you could either leave out the habanero pepper or just serve them plain (without the sauce).
[inlinkz_linkup id=480237 mode=1]