Here is a list of the Top 10 Children’s Foods Containing GMO’s:
- Hot Dogs: soy protein, meat, milk produced from animals fed GE corn and soy, milk treated with rbGH
- Macaroni and Cheese: canola and soy oils, milk produced from animals treated with rbGH
- Breakfast Cereal: corn, corn syrup, soy and canola oils, soy lecithin (Top 10 Cereals That May Contain GMO’s)
- Chips: soybean, corn, canola and cottonseed oils, corn, corn starch, corn syrup
- Tomato sauce: canola and soybean oils, corn syrup
- French fries: canola, soybean and corn oils
- Ice Cream: corn syrup, milk produced from animals treated with rbGH, cottonseed and soybean oils, soy lecithin
- Soda: corn syrup
- Peanut Butter: corn syrup, soybean and canola oils, soy lecithin
- Granola Bars: soybean, cottonseed and canola oils, milk produced from animals treated with rbGH, soy lecithin, corn syrup, soy protein
While this list contains many popular foods that most children love, it doesn’t mean that you can’t buy them. If you did, you would just want to make sure you buy ORGANIC versions. Organic foods cannot contain GMO’s.
However, GMO’s aside, this isn’t a very healthy and well-rounded list of foods that you would want to feed your children on a regular basis, and some of the foods, not at all.
You would want to try to eliminate them from your children’s diet even if they were organic (chips, french fries, ice-cream and soda) or even limit some of the others because of questionable ingredients (peanut butter – alfatoxins, hot dogs – nitrates, breakfast cereal – processed sugar).
For example, this is the ingredient list on the box of Cap’N Crunch breakfast cereal shown above: corn flour, sugar, oat flour, brown sugar, coconut oil, salt, niacinamide, yellow 5, reduced iron, zinc oxide, yellow 6, thiamin mononitrate, BHT (a preservative), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid. GMO corn, processed sugars, food colorings, preservatives…yuck!
(Note: This is ~not~ my box of Cap’N Crunch cereal…my boy’s have never eaten non-organic cereal like the one above. If you are looking for a more healthier cereal for your children, try my Homemade Peanut Butter Granola recipe…my boy’s love it!)
Help! I’m buying GMO’s…what do I do now?
Here is a really good link from the Non-GMO Shopping Guide website that shows you how to avoid GMO foods.
Also, you can order the book below from Amazon. This is the book that the Top Ten list was sourced from and it has a lot of good information explaining the history of GMO’s, hidden facts, organic options and the health risks of eating genetically modified foods.
Source of information: “Your Right To Know – Genetic Engineering and the Secret Changes in Your Food” - by Andrew Kimball