This Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Dark Cherry Ice Cream is perfect to make with fresh or frozen cherries for those hot summer days and it only needs 4 ingredients!
I had a huge 3 pound bag of organic dark cherries I bought from one of our trips to Costco that have been waiting patiently in my freezer for me to use them.
It’s so convenient to take a little bit out a time when you need them because they are already pitted and come out of the bag easily because they aren’t frozen together.
If you’re a fan of cherries ~and~ ice cream, you really should try my Vegan Black Forest Ice Cream which has the cherry + chocolate combination and is really good too.
This recipe has a cherry ice cream base and is loaded with chopped cherries and chocolate chips, so you’re sure to get plenty in every bite.
Traditional ice cream recipes are dairy-based with ingredients like these:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Blue-Bunny Cherry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream:
Typical Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Skim Milk, Sugar, Cherry Chunks (Cherries, Water, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Food Starch-Modified, Citric Acid, Natural Flavors, Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2), Buttermilk, Whey, Dark Chocolate Flakes (Sugar, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Cocoa, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract, Natural Flavors), Corn Syrup, Contains 1% or Less of Natural & Artificial Flavors, Concentrated Cherry Juice, Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Carregeenan, Mono & Diglycerides, Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Red 40.
Nothing good to be found there…GMO dairy, soy and corn syrup, as well as, 3 different food colorings.
And homemade versions contain heavy cream, eggs and milk.
This healthier version is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, paleo-friendly and contains no refined sugar.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Vegan Pecan Praline Ice Cream, Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Turtle Ice Cream, Vanilla Bean and Peach Ice Cream or my Clean Eating Cookbook with 3 entire chapters of healthy, clean eating dessert recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Coconut:*
- 2 tablespoons contain 4.6 g RDA of dietary fiber
- healthy source of medium-chain fatty acids
- can help to decrease cholesterol
- high in lauric acid
- excellent source of manganese at 60% RDA and iron at 11% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Cherries:*
- high in anti-oxidants
- contains anti-cancer agents
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
- contains beneficial phytonutrients
- high in beta-carotene with 19 times more than strawberries
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Dark Cherry Ice Cream
Yield 2 - 4 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Egg-Free / Soy-Free / Paleo-Friendly / No Refined Sugar
For the ice cream:
- 2 cans organic full-fat coconut milk (13.5 ounce can)
- 1/2 cup organic unrefined granular sweetener
- 1 1/2 cups organic cherries (pitted)
For the mix-ins:
- 1 cup organic cherries (pitted, chopped)
- 1 cup Enjoy Life mini-chocolate chips
- Add all the ingredients for the ice cream to a Vitamix and blend until it's creamy and smooth. Adjust sweetener to your preference.
- Transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker and make the ice cream according to your machines directions.
- When it's time to add the mix-in's (according to your machines directions) add in the chopped cherries and mini-chocolate chips.
- Enjoy immediately for a soft-serve texture. If you prefer a harder, more traditional ice cream texture, transfer the mixture to an freezer safe container, seal it tightly and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours, or until it hardens to your preference.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cherry Ice Cream" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.