This Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Dark Cherry Ice Cream is perfect to make with fresh or frozen cherries for those hot summer days and it only needs 4 ingredients!
I had a huge 3-pound bag of organic dark cherries I bought from one of our trips to Costco that have been waiting patiently in my freezer for me to use them.
It’s so convenient to take a little bit out a time when you need them because they are already pitted and come out of the bag easily because they aren’t frozen together.
If you’re a fan of cherries ~and~ ice cream, you really should try my Vegan Black Forest Ice Cream which has the cherry + chocolate combination and is really good too.
This recipe has a cherry ice cream base and is loaded with chopped cherries and chocolate chips, so you’re sure to get plenty in every bite.
Traditional ice cream recipes are dairy-based with ingredients like these:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Blue-Bunny Cherry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Skim Milk, Sugar, Cherry Chunks (Cherries, Water, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Food Starch-Modified, Citric Acid, Natural Flavors, Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2), Buttermilk, Whey, Dark Chocolate Flakes (Sugar, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Cocoa, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract, Natural Flavors), Corn Syrup, Contains 1% or Less of Natural & Artificial Flavors, Concentrated Cherry Juice, Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Mono & Diglycerides, Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Red 40.
Nothing good to be found there…GMO dairy, soy and corn syrup, as well as, 3 different food colorings.
And homemade versions contain heavy cream, eggs, and milk.
This healthier version is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, paleo-friendly and contains no refined sugar.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Ice Cream Recipes?
Check out these:
- Pecan Praline Ice Cream
- Chocolate Turtle Ice Cream
- Vanilla Bean and Peach Ice Cream
- or my CLEAN DESSERTS Cookbook with 72 plant-based vegan + gluten-free no-bake desserts made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Dark Cherry Ice Cream
Yield 2 - 4 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Egg-Free / Soy-Free / Paleo-Friendly / No Refined Sugar
For the ice cream:
- 2 cans organic full-fat coconut milk (13.5 ounce can)
- 1/2 cup organic unrefined granular sweetener
- 1 1/2 cups organic cherries (pitted)
For the mix-ins:
- 1 cup organic cherries (pitted, chopped)
- 1 cup Enjoy Life mini-chocolate chips
- Add all the ingredients for the ice cream to a Vitamix and blend until it's creamy and smooth. Adjust sweetener to your preference.
- Transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker and make the ice cream according to your machines directions.
- When it's time to add the mix-in's (according to your machines directions) add in the chopped cherries and mini-chocolate chips.
- Enjoy immediately for a soft-serve texture. If you prefer a harder, more traditional ice cream texture, transfer the mixture to an freezer safe container, seal it tightly and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours, or until it hardens to your preference.
Hi, I’m Karielyn! I’m the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.