These homemade Healthy Gluten-Free Vegan Peanut Butter Bon Bons are an easy and healthy recipe made with only 5 clean ingredients, no powdered sugar, and taste so much better than store-bought candy! They can be prepared in about 10 minutes and are vegan and gluten-free!
These homemade Healthy Gluten-Free Vegan Peanut Butter Bon Bons are also known as “Copycat Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs” and “Vegan Peanut Butter Eggs”, but they are all the same and are perfect when you want a little bite-sized chocolate + peanut butter treat.
I love them because not only do they have the chocolate + peanut butter combination, but also contain healthy fat from coconut oil which I try to get in a serving each day.
If you want to try another chocolate + peanut butter treat, make sure you check out my Healthy Peanut Butter Cups recipe!
Both recipes would be great to use with my homemade peanut butter recipe and are super easy to make, even if you’ve never made your own peanut butter.
The organic coconut flour I use is from Thrive Market and is one of my favorite gluten-free flours to use.
Are These Healthy Peanut Butter Bon Bons (aka “Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs” + “Vegan Peanut Butter Eggs”) Really Healthy?
In my opinion, yes!
Let’s compare the ingredients in this recipe to ingredients in a popular store-bought product:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs
Ingredients: Peanuts, Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate, Non-Fat Milk, Milk Fat, Lactose, Soy Lecithin, PGPR Emulsifier), Sugar, Dextrose, Chocolate, Non-Fat Milk, Contains 2% or Less of: Vegetable Oil (Cocoa Butter, Palm, Shea, Sunflower and/or Safflower Oil), Salt, Whey (Milk), Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, TBHQ (Preservative), Vanillin, Artificial Flavor
The store-bought candy contains GMO ingredients (soy and dairy), refined sugar and salt, and preservatives. Also, non-organic peanuts can contain up to 8 different pesticides.
And some homemade versions are made with powdered sugar, shortening, and even milk and butter.
When you make your own clean homemade desserts, you have control over the ingredients that are used and can make them without any of the ingredients found in store-bought candies like artificial colors, flavors or chemicals.
This healthier version is made with organic, real food ingredients and is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and contains no refined sugar.
Can You Freeze These Healthy Peanut Butter Bon Bons (aka “Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs” + “Vegan Peanut Butter Eggs”)?
Yes! In fact, they need to be stored in the freezer or refrigerator until ready to serve because they will get soft and lose their shape if left out at room temperature.
Just store them in an air-tight container and they will be ready at a moments notice whenever you need a healthy treat!
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Healthy Peanut Butter Bon Bons (aka “Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs” + “Vegan Peanut Butter Eggs”)?
5 Fast Facts About Peanuts (Peanut Butter):*
- excellent source of vitamin E
- high in folate
- contains tryptophan which helps fight depression
- good source of fiber
- excellent source of protein
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Flour:*
- highest dietary fiber found in any flour at 58%
- contains 14% coconut oil
- contains 19% vegan protein
- helps promote blood sugar health
5 Fast Facts About Raw Cacao Powder:*
- contains over 300 compounds including protein, calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc, and iron
- detoxifies the liver
- acts as an anti-depressant and balances the mood
- contains essential fats
- super high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in anti-0xidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- improves metabolism and prevents fatigue
- helps to improve cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
How To Make Healthy Peanut Butter Bon Bons (aka “Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs” + “Vegan Peanut Butter Eggs”):
These are super easy to make and they can be prepared in under 10 minutes!
- Prepare the peanut butter balls. Just add all the ingredients for the peanut butter balls to a medium-sized bowl and stir everything together until it’s well combined. Depending on the type of peanut butter you use, you may need to add more or less coconut flour than what is shown in the recipe. I always start with a 1 tablespoon of coconut flour. Coconut flour is very dense and too much is not good. But you also need enough to make the balls firm, so it’s kind of tricky to get just the right amount. My suggestion would be to start with 1 tablespoon and add an extra 1 tablespoon at a time until the balls are firm enough to roll into a ball shape. If you want to make these in an “egg” shape, just roll them into an “egg” shape instead of a ball shape.
- Shape the balls. Next, you’ll take out a spoonful at a time and roll them into a ball shape and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Then you’ll place the cookie sheet in the pan for the balls to chill while you prepare the chocolate coating.
- Prepare the chocolate coating. In this step, you will be melting the ingredients for the chocolate coating. Since I don’t use a microwave, I just add the ingredients to a small saucepan and melt everything on the lowest heat and stir until it’s smooth.
- Assembly. Remove the cookie sheet from the freezer and dip each ball into the melted chocolate coating and place them back on the cookie sheet. Return the cookie sheet to the freezer so the chocolate can harden for about 15-20 minutes.
You’ll want to store them in an air-tight container in either the freezer or refrigerator until ready to serve because they will get soft and lose their shape if left out at room temperature.
Want More Healthy Chocolate + Peanut Butter Recipes?
Check out these:
- Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cups
- Gluten-Free Vegan Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
- Gluten-Free Vegan No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars
- My CLEAN DESSERTS Cookbook with 72 No-Bake Vegan + Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes made with real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make My Healthy Peanut Butter Bon Bons Recipe?
If you make these Healthy Vegan Peanut Butter Bon Bons (aka “Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs” + “Vegan Peanut Butter Eggs”) let us know how you liked them by rating the recipe and leaving a comment below…it would make my day! 🙂