If you’re looking for a light, fresh summer salad that is different, this Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries and Maple Tahini Dressing is perfect!
It’s my recipe submission for the July 2015 theme for The Recipe ReDux which is:
“Fresh from the Garden: The season of bountiful produce has arrived. Whether your produce comes from the Farmers Market, a CSA share, or a plot of dirt out back, show how you are using fresh July fruits or veggies.”
I decided to highlight brussels sprouts for this recipe submission because I feel like these little guys get looked over for the more popular summer veggies like zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.
I’ve even been guilty of passing over them when in the produce section.
But they really are good for you and if you’ve never tried them before, maybe this recipe will be a good incentive!
This is a fresh salad that can be made in less than 10 minutes and has a little sweetness in it from the dressing and cranberries and and little crunch from the almonds.
And, this simple, quick to make recipe is also raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly and contains no refined sugar!
Want more healthy side dish recipes? Check out Spicy Chipotle Cashews, Red Quinoa with Cilantro and Lime, Rosemary and Garlic Sweet Potato Medallions or my Clean Eating eCookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating snack and side dishes that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Brussels Sprouts:*
- super high in anti-oxidants
- excellent source of vitamin K at 273.5% RDA for 1 cup
- excellent source of dietary fiber at 16% RDA for 1 cup
- helps to lower cholesterol
- provides DNA protection benefits
5 Fast Facts About Cranberries:*
- 1/2 cup contains 10% vitamin C
- 1 cup contains 18% DV of manganese
- 1 cup contains 18% DV of fiber
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
- ORAC score of 9584 per 100 g
5 Fast Facts About Almonds:*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Sesame Seeds (Tahini):*
- high in calcium at 35% RDA
- excellent anti-oxidant
- lowers cholesterol
- reduces inflammation
- high in phytosterol
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: I only used 1/2 cup of almonds and 1/2 cup of cranberries, but feel free to add more if you’d like.
Tip #2: I only used 2 tablespoons of maple syrup in the dressing, but feel free to add more if you’d like it a little sweeter.
Tip #3: I used whole organic, raw, unpasteurized almonds and chopped them up in my food processor. You could also save this step and just use whole almonds or even almond slivers if you prefer.