Welcome to The Healthy Family and Home
“Eat like it matters…because it does!”
Hi…I’m Karielyn! I’m a wife and a mother of two young boys, 10 and 8 years old. I try very hard to make sure my family has healthy, nutrient-dense and wholesome foods to eat and that we avoid detrimental foods that can destroy and undermine our health. Since I purchase the groceries and prepare the meals for our family, I do not take this responsibility lightly – it is always my number one priority.
I am passionate about eating and buying healthy, organic, clean and nutrient-dense foods and products and hope I can relay some of that passion with you here. I’d love to share with you the ingredients I use and love as well as the foods we buy. I also have super easy recipes, food and product reviews and lots of information about healthy and organic foods that I’ve learned about over the last 8 years since embracing healthier food choices.
If I had to describe in one word or phrase the type of foods we eat, I would say “clean” or “clean eating”. To me, that means real and unprocessed food and eating foods in their most natural state. It’s not necessarily a diet, but a lifestyle.
One thing I’ve noticed while browsing the web, is that different people have different definitions of “healthy”. I have actually come across the following on “healthy” websites:
- a website with a recipe using “healthy” and “bacon” in the title description. I know people love their bacon but to label fried animal fat as “healthy”?
- another with “healthy” recipes that included a “southern fried chicken” recipe by “heating the battered chicken in 1 inch of oil in a large heavy skillet”.
- a red velvet cake recipe with bleached flour, solid vegetable shortening, 2 1/2 cups of sugar, buttermilk, 1 cup of butter and last but not least – 1 bottle of red food coloring, again in a “healthy recipe” category.
I”m sorry, but I disagree and my website and definition of healthy is much different. Here at “The Healthy Family and Home”, you will find:
- organic / non-GMO
- fresh fruits and vegetables
- nutrient-dense and real food ingredients
- “clean” and unprocessed foods
- fresh green juices
- green smoothies
- appliances, gadgets, and shopping resources to help make a healthy lifestyle easier
You will not find on my site any recipe that includes:
- GMO’s (genetically modified organisms)
- artificial colors
- artificial sweeteners
- refined processed sugar
- refined table salt
- refined bleached flour
- S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) foods or ingredients
I am not here to convince you to adopt a certain dietary lifestyle, promote a particular one or to even say that mine is better. I would like to encourage you and make it easier for you to choose healthier foods, reduce the toxic burdens on your body, to eat “clean” foods and to learn about the food and products that are good for your body and health – as well as the ones that are harmful.
I truly believe there is a direct correlation to our health and the foods we eat – and shouldn’t eat. It’s hard to know where to start with a change because it is so overwhelming. There’s a lot of information out there to take in! But the first thing to remember is to just make small changes, one step at a time and eat like it matters…because it does!
About My Website:
My website offers some unique features if you looking for resources for healthier eating to help you along the way:
- easy recipes with minimal ingredients (pretty much all of my recipes are fast and easy to make and have a short ingredient list)
- resources of where to buy hard to find ingredients (not everyone has access to a Whole Foods store and would like to buy quality, organic foods – my posts have links of where to buy specialized ingredients)
- resources of where to buy small kitchen appliances and gadgets that make living a healthy lifestyle easy and make (I share all my appliances and gadgets that I use to make all the healthy foods on my site)
- nutrition facts about the ingredients in the recipes I will be making (I’ve done all the research for you and have “5 Fast Facts” listed on most ingredients in my recipes)
- reviews on products you might be interested in (I hardly buy anything anymore without reading reviews first – I give honest reviews on foods and products on my site that I actually use to help you make decisions )
I hope my website gives you encouragement to make healthy changes for you and your family – no matter how big or small, because they all matter!
In closing, I just had to add this short little story because hopefully it will make you smile.
One day, I had a busy morning in the kitchen. I started with smoothies, made some homemade bread, did some juicing, and then made a raw dessert.
Each time, my 8 year old (4 at the time) stopped playing with his brother and came in the kitchen because “he wanted to help”.
I asked him, “Why do you like to cook so much?“
He replied, “No, I don’t like to cook. I just want to be with you.”
So…if you like what you see, think you will enjoy the information from my website and want to get great nutrient-dense healthy recipes, product reviews, shopping resources and healthy living information delivered straight to your email, all you have to do is click here to subscribe to my email list!
To view my Press page, visit my “Press” page.
To work with me, visit my “Work with Me” page.
To read my author bio, visit my “Author Bio” page.
Again, welcome and I hope you’ll be back soon!