This Clean Eating Banana Split Mousse is probably the most amazing thing I’ve created in a long time!
Let me explain this unique little treat so you can fully appreciate it.
Normally, banana splits come with bananas, ice cream, whipped cream, fudgy syrup and nuts.
But here’s what I did to transform the unhealthy traditional version to a clean eating dessert.
First, I substituted the ice cream and banana with a fluffy banana mousse.
It’s very similar to my Clean Eating Vegan Lemon Mousse recipe, except I added banana instead of lemon.
And when you take a bite of it, it tastes like you are eating a bite of banana ~and~ whipped cream from a traditional banana split!
Then I drizzled the top with some homemade cacao drizzle, sprinkled some chopped walnuts and topped it with an organic cherry.
And just so you can feel extra good about eating it, let’s look at the ingredient list for a traditional banana split dessert:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Baskin Robbins Classic Banana Split
Ingredients: Bananas, Vanilla Ice Cream (Cream, Milk Non Fat, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Vanilla Extract, Mono and Diglycerides, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum,Carrageenan, Annatto Color ), Chocolate Ice Cream (Cream, Milk Non Fat, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Whey, Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali, Chocolate Liquor Processed with Alkali, Cellulose Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80), Very Berry Strawberry Ice Cream (Cream ,Strawberries Stablized [Strawberries, Sugar, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Water, Locust Bean Gum, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum ] , Milk Non Fat, Sugar, Strawberries Puree, Base [ Strawberries, Sugar, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate ] , Corn Syrup, Whey, Flavors Natural, Cellulose Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum,Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80, Red 40, Red 3, Blue 1), Pineapple, Slices ( Pineapple, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Sugar, Citric Acid, Cellulose Gum, Flavors Artificial, Sodium Benzoate, Preservative, and Turmeric, Colors ), Marshmallow, Topping ( Corn Syrup, Sugar, Eggs Whites, Food Starch Modified, and Flavors Artificial ), Chocolate Syrup ( Corn Syrup, Water, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Sugar, Cocoa, Caramel Color, Potassium Sorbate, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan, Flavors Natural & Artificial ), Cream Whipped ( Cream, Milk, Sugar, Dextrose, Milk Non Fat Dry, Flavors Artificial, Mono and Diglycerides, Carrageenan, Tocopherols Mixed Vitamin E, To Protect Flavor, Propellant, Nitrous Oxide ) , Cherries, Almonds, Dried, Contains: Milk ,Eggs
In all fairness, the ingredient list is for three different flavors of ice cream, but would it be any healthier with only one ice cream flavor? Answer: No.
It’s a dairy and GMO nightmare with food coloring, stabilizers, artificial flavors and since it’s not organic, contains pesticides.
This healthier, clean, real food dessert is “almost” raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, paleo-friendly and contains no refined sugar.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Vegan No-Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake, Fudgy Peanut Butter Crispy Squares, Vegan Flourless Zucchini Brownies, or my Clean Eating eCookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating desserts just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Coconut (Flakes):*
- 2 tablespoons contain 4.6 g RDA of dietary fiber
- healthy source of medium-chain fatty acids
- can help to decrease cholesterol
- high in lauric acid
- excellent source of manganese at 60% RDA and iron at 11% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Bananas:*
- high levels of tryptophan to help combat depression
- aids in weight loss
- strengthens the immune system
- high in fiber and potassium
- helps to lower blood pressure
5 Fast Facts About Walnuts:*
- high-quality vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
- rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- high in vitamin C
- improves blood lipids and other cardiovascular risk factors
5 Fast Facts About Cherries:*
- high in anti-oxidants
- contains anti-cancer agents
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
- contains beneficial phytonutrients
- high in beta-carotene with 19 times more than strawberries
5 Fast Facts About Raw Cacao Powder:*
- super high in anti-oxidants
- promotes cardiovascular health
- contains essential fats
- can help to decrease blood pressure
- contains over 300 compounds including protein, calcium, copper, zinc, and iron
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: I found the banana mousse to be sweet enough using just a banana, but if you feel it needs a little extra sweetness, just add 1 – 2 tablespoons of your favorite organic granular sweetener.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.