This Gluten-Free Vegan No-Cook Banana Split Mousse is an easy and healthy dessert made with just 7 clean, real food ingredients. After prepping a can of full-fat coconut milk in advance, it can be prepared in about 5 minutes without dairy or eggs!
Gluten-Free Vegan No-Cook Banana Split Mousse
This Clean Eating Banana Split Mousse is probably the most amazing thing I've created in a long time!
Let me explain this unique little treat so you can fully appreciate it.
Normally, banana splits come with bananas, ice cream, whipped cream, fudgy syrup, and nuts.
But here's what I did to transform the unhealthy traditional version to a clean eating dessert.
First, I substituted the ice cream and banana with a fluffy banana mousse.
It's very similar to my Clean Eating Vegan Lemon Mousse recipe, except I added banana instead of lemon.
And when you take a bite of it, it tastes like you are eating a bite of banana ~and~ whipped cream from a traditional banana split!
Then I drizzled the top with some homemade chocolate drizzle, sprinkled some chopped walnuts and topped it with an organic cherry.
And just so you can feel extra good about eating it, let's look at the ingredient list for a traditional banana split dessert:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Baskin Robbins Classic Banana Split Ingredients: Bananas, Vanilla Ice Cream (Cream, Milk Non Fat, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Vanilla Extract, Mono and Diglycerides, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum,Carrageenan, Annatto Color ), Chocolate Ice Cream (Cream, Milk Non Fat, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Whey, Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali, Chocolate Liquor Processed with Alkali, Cellulose Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80), Very Berry Strawberry Ice Cream (Cream ,Strawberries Stablized [Strawberries, Sugar, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Water, Locust Bean Gum, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum ] , Milk Non Fat, Sugar, Strawberries Puree, Base [ Strawberries, Sugar, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate ] , Corn Syrup, Whey, Flavors Natural, Cellulose Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum,Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80, Red 40, Red 3, Blue 1), Pineapple, Slices ( Pineapple, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Sugar, Citric Acid, Cellulose Gum, Flavors Artificial, Sodium Benzoate, Preservative, and Turmeric, Colors ), Marshmallow, Topping ( Corn Syrup, Sugar, Eggs Whites, Food Starch Modified, and Flavors Artificial ), Chocolate Syrup ( Corn Syrup, Water, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Sugar, Cocoa, Caramel Color, Potassium Sorbate, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan, Flavors Natural & Artificial ), Cream Whipped ( Cream, Milk, Sugar, Dextrose, Milk Non Fat Dry, Flavors Artificial, Mono and Diglycerides, Carrageenan, Tocopherols Mixed Vitamin E, To Protect Flavor, Propellant, Nitrous Oxide ) , Cherries, Almonds, Dried, Contains: Milk ,Eggs
In all fairness, the ingredient list is for three different flavors of ice cream, but would it be any healthier with only one ice cream flavor? Answer: No.
It's a dairy and GMO nightmare with food coloring, stabilizers, artificial flavors and since it the dairy and GMO ingredients are not organic, they contain pesticides.
This healthier, plant-based dessert is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, no-bake, contains no refined sugar, paleo-friendly and can be Medical Medium compliant (omit the chocolate drizzle).
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions For Banana Split Mousse
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Sweetener. I found the banana mousse to be sweet enough using just a banana, but if you feel it needs a little extra sweetness, just add 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite organic granular sweetener.
Medical Medium. To keep this recipe 100% Medical Medium compliant, just omit the chocolate drizzle.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Dessert Recipes?
Check out these:
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Fudgy Peanut Butter Crispy Squares
- Vegan Flourless Zucchini Brownies
- or my CLEAN DESSERTS Cookbook with 72 plant-based vegan + gluten-free no-bake dessert recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan No-Cook Banana Split Mousse
For the mousse:
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (13.5-ounce can)
- 1 organic banana
For the chocolate drizzle*:
- 1 tablespoon organic raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil (melted/liquid)
For the toppings:
- 1 tablespoon organic walnuts (chopped)
- 2 organic cherries
- Advanced Preparation: Add a can of full-fat coconut milk to the back of the refrigerator overnight before making this recipe.
Prepare the chocolate drizzle:
- Add all ingredients for the chocolate drizzle to a small bowl and stir until it's well combined and smooth then set aside.
Prepare the mousse:
- Remove the coconut milk from the refrigerator and scoop out the hardened "fat" part of the coconut milk. The bottom half of the can will be liquid (save this coconut water to add to a smoothie!)
- Add the hardened coconut fat and banana to a mixer and mix on high speed until it turns into a fluffy mousse, but taking care not to over mix (you'll want to leave small pieces of banana in the mousse).
- Transfer the banana mousse to (2) small serving bowls, dividing it equally, then drizzle the chocolate drizzle over the top, sprinkle with the chopped walnuts and top each dessert with a cherry.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home™ website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based and Medical Medium® compliant recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.