Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Mousse
This Clean Eating Vegan Lemon Mousse recipe is probably one of the easiest desserts you will ever make and it's so light and perfect for spring.
And if you love this recipe, make sure you check out my upgraded version, Vegan Lemon Mousse Tarts, that are made with this lemon mousse recipe and a raw pecan and date crust.
To make this recipe, all you have to do is keep a can of full-fat coconut milk in the back of your refrigerator (at all times!) because you never know when the moment will strike and you will be craving a quick, healthy dessert or need a healthy topping for something else.
Once you have your canned coconut milk waiting patiently in the refrigerator, it only takes about 5 minutes to make and needs just 3 clean ingredients!
The recipe will make enough for 1 - 2 servings, so it's the kind of dessert to make when you need a special treat or something to perk up your day.
It's based on my How To Make Whipped Coconut Cream Topping recipe, but I decided to add some fresh lemon juice to it for flavoring.
Here's the ingredient list for traditional lemon mousse:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Traditional Lemon Mousse Ingredients: 8 eggs, 1 1/4 cup sugar, 1 cup heavy cream, lemon, salt, vanilla extract
My healthier version is plant-based, raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, no-cook, paleo-friendly, contains no refined sugar and is Medical Medium compliant.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions For Vegan Lemon Mousse
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Coconut Milk. Always keep a can (or two!) of full-fat coconut milk in the back of your refrigerator so you can make this recipe at a moment's notice.
If you don't have a can ready, you will need to leave it in the refrigerator ~at least ~ 24 hours so the fat in the coconut milk can harden, but the longer the better.
Once you open your can, the top half will be solid (coconut fat) and the bottom half will be liquid (coconut water).
You will be using ONLY the solid part for this recipe (save the liquid part to add to a smoothie!).
Sweetener. I like to use organic raw coconut crystals to make mine, but feel free to use your favorite granular sweetener.
If you use an organic, natural sweetener like raw coconut crystals, it might give the mousse a slighter darker color because the crystals aren't white, but if you want it a pure white color, you might want to try using a white sweetener like non-GMO xylitol.
Lemons. Freshly squeezed lemon juice will give you the best flavor and nutrients since it hasn't been pasteurized, but you can substitute with store-bought organic lemon juice. In addition, if you find you want a more intense lemon flavor, add 2-3 drops of organic lemon essential oil which will give you more lemon flavor without adding additional liquid to the recipe.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based No-Bake Dessert Recipes?
Check out these:
- No-Bake Vegan Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream
- Chocolate Crunch Bars
- or my CLEAN DESSERTS Cookbook with 72 plant-based vegan + gluten-free no-bake desserts made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Mousse
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (13.5-ounce can)
- 2 tablespoons organic lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 tablespoons organic granular sweetener
- Add a can of full-fat coconut milk to the back of the refrigerator ~at least~ 24 hours before making this recipe.
Prepare the mousse:
- Remove the coconut milk from refrigerator and scoop out the hardened "fat" part of the coconut milk. The bottom half of the can will be liquid (save this coconut water to add to a smoothie!)
- Add the hardened coconut fat, lemon juice and sweetener of your choice to a mixer and mix on high speed until it turns into a fluffy mousse.
- Adjust the sweetener and/or lemon juice to your preference.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home™ website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based and Medical Medium® compliant recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.