These Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Crispy Treats are really easy to make and will be a favorite if you love the tart and tangy flavor of raspberries mixed with chocolate.
I used organic freeze-dried raspberries because they were easier to mix in and held together in the mixture better, as opposed to using fresh or frozen raspberries.
And, they are extra-tart too!
Traditional store-bought (and even homemade) crispy treats have horrible ingredient lists which normally includes butter and marshmallows.
Here’s the ingredient list for a similar store-bought boxed brand:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Rice Krispies Treats Crispy Marshmallow Square, Double Chocolaty Chunk Ingredients:
Ingredients: Rice Cereal(Rice, Sugar, Salt, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Malt Flavoring, Niacinamide, Reduced Iron, Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Marshmallow (Corn Syrup, Sugar, Gelatin, Natural and Artificial Flavor), Sugar, Margarine (Vegetable Oil [Soybean, Palm, and Palm Kernel Oil with TBHQ for Freshness], Water, Acetylated Monoglycerides , Datem, BHT [Preservative], Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D), Fructose, Partially Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil with Sorbitan Tristearate (Less Than 0.5 g Trans Fat per Serving), Invert Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Corn Syrup Solids, Contains Two Percent Or Less of Nonfat Dry Milk, Glycerin, Maltodextrin, Whey, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Artificial Flavor, Polysorbate 60, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)Thiamin Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1) (source)
They contain GMO ingredients including high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, sugar, corn syrup solids, maltodextrin, soybean oil, soy lecithin, etc. plus refined white sugar, refined white salt, preservatives and artificial flavors. And, if you’re following a vegan diet, it also contains gelatin (an animal product).
And don’t think it’s any better by making traditional “homemade” crispy treats. You may not have the extra GMO’s, preservatives and artificial flavors, but you still have a long list of bad ingredients:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Homemade Rice Crispy Treat Ingredients:
Ingredients (Kellogg’s Rice Krispie Cereal): Rice, Sugar, Contains 2% or less of Salt, Malt Flavor, BHT Added to Packaging for Freshness, Vitamins and Minerals: Iron, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Niacinamide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows:
Ingredients (Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows): Corn Syrup, Sugar, Corn Starch Modified, Water, Gelatin, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Flavors(s), Artificial, Color(s), Artificial (Blue1)(source)
This healthier version contains clean, real food ingredients and is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and contains no refined sugars.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Clean Eating Chocolate Chip and Sweet Potato Bars, Clean Eating Chocolate Crunch Bars, Healthy Peanut Butter Cups or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Raw Cacao Powder:*
- super high in anti-oxidants
- promotes cardiovascular health
- contains essential fats
- can help to decrease blood pressure
- contains over 300 compounds including protein, calcium, copper, zinc and iron
5 Fast Facts About Cashews (Cashew Butter):*
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Raspberries:*
- high in antioxidants
- anti-cancer benefits
- good source of dietary fiber
- high ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) value of 4,900 per 100 g
- excellent source of vitamin C at 47% RDA
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Crispy Treats
Yield 16 squares
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / No-Cook / No Refined Sugar
- Add the brown rice cereal to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add the cashew butter, coconut oil, maple syrup and raw cacao powder to a small saucepan and melt everything together on low heat, stirring until it's well combined.
- Pour the cashew butter mixture over the brown rice cereal and gently stir until it's evenly distributed and the brown rice cereal is completely covered.
- Add the freeze-dried raspberries and gently stir them in, taking care not to break them up too much.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8 x 8 baking dish lined with parchment paper then put the dish in the freezer for approximately 1-2 hours, or until they harden.
- Remove from the freezer and leave out on the counter top for about 5-10 minutes prior to cutting and serving.
- Store in the freezer until ready to serve because they will get soft and lose their shape if left out at room temperature.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Crispy Treat Squares" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.