My Gluten-Free Vegan Artichoke and Sun-Dried Tomato Fettuccine recipe is my January submission for The Recipe Redux.
The theme this month is:
“Budget-Friendly Eats – How low can you go? Can you make a meal for less than $3 per serving? Whatever your budget, show us your healthy entree recipe to help keep food spending in check in 2017.”
My recipe is made with ingredients you probably already have at home, with maybe the exception of the sun-dried tomatoes (that was the only ingredient I didn’t have on hand).
It’s a quick and easy meal that’s ready in less than 15 minutes and is perfect with a side salad.
The breakdown of ingredients and costs are: gluten-free fettuccine ($3.49), raw cashews ($2.75), non-dairy milk ($), nutritional yeast ($), avocado oil ($), lemon juice ($), garlic cloves ($), Himalayan pink salt ($), ground pepper ($), artichokes ($2.99), sun-dried tomatoes ($2.49).
Before I add up the total cost of the ingredients, I want to go through them. I’m assuming that you already have non-dairy milk, avocado oil (or olive oil), lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
I put a price next to the ones that you possibly wouldn’t have at home on hand: gluten-free fettuccine, raw cashews, artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes. All these add up to: $11.72.
I didn’t include nutritional yeast in either category because it was too complicated (for me!) to figure out the true cost of 2 tablespoons worth. The last time I bought some, it was enough to fill up a quart-size mason jar and it only cost me $3.80 and it usually lasts me about 6 months. If you do have some, it goes into the “already on-hand” category and if you don’t have any, the cost for this recipe is so minimal I’m not including it in the cost calculations.
So, you can make a vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free meal for 4 that’s perfect for Meatless Monday and is ready in less than 15 minutes for…..about $2.93 a serving!
Want more healthy meal and entre’ recipes? Check out Pasta with Asparagus and Creamy Mushroom Sauce, Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta, Zucchini Pasta with Vegan Basil Pesto or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:*
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Tomatoes:*
- contains lycopenes which are cancer fighting agents
- high in beta-carotene
- excellent anti-oxidant
- high in vitamin A and K
- high in chromium which helps control blood sugar levels
5 Fast Facts About Artichokes:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Nutritional Yeast:*
- vegan source of vitamin B12
- contains 18 amino acids and is a complete protein
- boosts immune system
- excellent anti-oxidant
- contains 15 minerals
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Lemons:*
- extremely alkaline to the body
- blood purifier
- excellent for detoxification
- balances blood sugar levels
- contains powerful anti-bacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Avocado Oil:*
- healthier cooking with smoke point of 500 degrees
- may help reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome
- helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- provides protection from cardiovascular disease
- good source of vitamin E
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.