It can't get any easier than this simple Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream recipe that needs only 4 healthy ingredients to make and no stovetop cooking needed.
Whole Foods had their organic strawberries on sale last week so I made a batch of one of our favorite ice cream flavors in our house - strawberry!
Instead of the typical solid pink ice cream that blends the strawberries into the ice cream base, I like to make a vanilla base ice cream and add lots and lots of chopped strawberries to make sure there's some in every bite!
It takes less than 5 minutes to make with a Vitamix and you can make this with or without an ice cream maker (no-churn method).
I actually prefer the ice cream machine method for this ice cream because it has a soft-serve texture and you just add the strawberries in right at the end, so they're not frozen.
My healthier plant-based version only needs 4 clean, real food ingredients and it's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, paleo-friendly, contains no refined sugar, and is Medical Medium® compliant.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is This Recipe Healthy?
In my opinion, yes!
Store-bought ice creams contain dairy and unhealthy ingredients like these:
- S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Typical Store-Bought Strawberry Ice Cream Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Corn Syrup, Sugar Liquid, Strawberries Puree (Strawberries [Strawberries, Sugar, Food Starch, Guar Gum, Citric Acid], Cane Sugar Syrup, Flavors Strawberry, Other with Flavors Natural, Food Starch Modified, Citric Acid), Milk Nonfat, Buttermilk, Strawberries (Strawberries, Sugar, Food Starch, Guar Gum, Citric Acid), Milk Fat (Whey), Flavors Natural and Artificial, Citric Acid, Mono and Diglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Carrageenan, Dextrose, Red 40, Blue 1
This typical ingredient list contains GMO ingredients (corn syrup), dairy, and (2) food colorings.
Homemade versions are a little better, but still contain dairy ingredients such as these: whole milk, heavy cream, heavy whipping cream, half and half, refined white sugar, eggs and some even require you to cook the mixture on the stovetop.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Dessert Recipes?
Check out these:
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Pecan Praline Ice Cream
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream
- or my CLEAN DESSERTS Cookbook with 72 plant-based vegan + gluten-free no-bake desserts made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! : )
Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
For the ice cream:
For the add-in:
- 2 cups organic strawberries diced
- Add all the ingredients for the ice cream to a Vitamix and blend until creamy and smooth, taking care to not over process, and just enough to incorporate the sweetener into the coconut milk.
- Taste and adjust the sweetener to your preference.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and make the ice cream according to your machine's directions.
- Option 1: If you will enjoy it right away as a soft-serve ice cream, add the chopped strawberries at the end of the ice cream cycle or when directed by your machine's instructions, then serve.
- Option 2: If you prefer a harder ice cream texture, pour the ice cream mixture into an air-tight BPA-free container.
- Add the diced strawberries and gently stir them in to make sure they are evenly distributed. Cover tightly and place the container in the freezer for 1-2 hours, or until it gets to the consistency of your preference.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, "The Healthy Family and Home" website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: "The Healthy Family and Home" website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home™ website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based and Medical Medium® compliant recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.