As temperatures are starting to get in the low 90’s this week in Southern Louisiana, I’ve already got ice cream on my mind and this Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Rocky Road Ice Cream is a classic that I veganized for your summertime enjoyment.
What are two ingredients you could add to classic chocolate ice cream that would make it extraordinarily good? How about some organic walnuts + vegan marshmallows? 🙂
In case you’re a new vegan or just didn’t know, regular marshmallows are not vegan – they contain gelatin, which is made from the “prolonged boiling of leftover bones, skin, collagen and cartilage from animals”, just Google it for more details.
Aside from the fact that S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) marshmallows contain animal ingredients, they also contain GMO ingredients (corn syrup + corn starch modified), and artificial flavors and colors which should also be a concern:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows:
Ingredients: Corn Syrup, Sugar, Corn Starch Modified, Water, Gelatin, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Artificial Flavors, Artificial Colors (Blue 1).
While I’m not 100% happy with the ingredient list in the vegan marshmallows (even though they are non-GMO, vegan + gluten-free), I don’t mind using them for an occasional treat and they’re better than regular marshmallows with an ingredient list like the one above.
And here’s the ingredient list for a similar popular store-bought ice cream brand:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Baskin Robbins Rocky Road Ice Cream:
Ingredients: Cream, Nonfat Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Marshmallow (Corn Syrup, Sugar, Corn Starch Modified, Gelatin), Almonds (Almonds, Safflower Oil, Canola Oil, Chocolate Liquor Processed with Alkali, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Whey, Cellulose Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80
It also contains marshmallows with gelatin, GMO ingredients (corn syrup, canola oil), refined sugar and GMO dairy.
This healthier version is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and contains no refined sugar.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream, Gluten-Free Vegan Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Vegan Pecan Praline Ice Cream or my Clean Eating Cookbook with a 3 entire chapters of healthy, clean eating dessert recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:*
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Coconut (Coconut Milk):*
- 2 tablespoons contain 4.6 g RDA of dietary fiber
- healthy source of medium-chain fatty acids
- can help to decrease cholesterol
- high in lauric acid
- excellent source of manganese at 60% RDA and iron at 11% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Raw Cacao Powder:*
- super high in anti-oxidants
- promotes cardiovascular health
- contains essential fats
- can help to decrease blood pressure
- contains over 300 compounds including protein, calcium, copper, zinc and iron
5 Fast Facts About Walnuts:*
- high quality vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
- rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- high in vitamin C
- improves blood lipids and other cardiovascular risk factors
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Rocky Road Ice Cream
Yield 2 - 4 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / No Refined Sugar
For the ice cream:
- 1 cup organic raw cashews
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (13.5 ounce can)
- 1/2 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup organic unrefined granular sweetener
- 1 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
For the add-ins:
- Optional: Soak the cashews in filtered/purified water for 30-60 minutes, then rinse and drain. This step is optional but it will make the cashews soft and the mixture extra smooth.
- Add all ingredients for the ice cream to a Vitamix and blend until everything is creamy and smooth. Adjust the sweetener to your preference.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and follow the directions of your machine to make the ice cream.
- When it's time to add the "add-ins" (usually after 15-20 minutes or so), add the chopped walnuts and mini-marshmallows. Stir in by hand to make sure they are evenly distributed.
- Enjoy immediately with a soft-serve ice cream consistency, or transfer the mixture to an 8 x 5 baking dish, cover tightly, and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours, or until it hardens to the consistency you prefer.
- Store in the freezer in a BPA-free ice cream storage container.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Rocky Road Ice Cream" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!