These thick and fluffy Classic Homemade Belgian Waffles are an easy recipe to make using your favorite waffle maker for perfectly crispy and golden waffles that are ready to drizzle with maple syrup!
Homemade Belgian Waffles
These Homemade Belgian Waffles are a great transitional food to get away from processed, boxed waffles.
One of the biggest benefits of avoiding pre-packaged foods is that you have control over the quality of the ingredients.
For example, here is the ingredient list in a box of a popular store-bought waffle brand:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Eggo's Waffles Ingredients: Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, vitamin B1 [thiamin mononitrate], vitamin B2 [riboflavin], folic acid), water, vegetable oil (soybean, palm, and/or canola oil), eggs, leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate), contains 2% or less of sugar, salt, whey, soy lecithin, yellow 5, yellow 6. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium carbonate, vitamin A palmitate, reduced iron, niacinamide, vitamin B12, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B1 (thiamin hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
They contain GMO ingredients (soybean oil, canola oil, soy lecithin), refined salt and sugar, food colorings and synthetic vitamins + minerals.
How To Make Belgian Waffles: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here is how to make this recipe and I'll show you with step-by-step instructions below:
Step 1: Melt the Butter
Firstly, add the butter to a small saucepan and melt on the lowest heat.
Once it's melted, set it aside.
Step 2: Separate the Eggs
Secondly, separate the eggs into two small bowls.
For example, add the egg yolks to one bowl and the egg whites to another bowl.
Step 3: Add the Egg Yolks + Wet Ingredients
Thirdly, add the egg yolks to a medium-size bowl and combine it with the milk and vanilla extract.
Stir together until well combined, then set aside.
Step 4: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Fourthly, add all the dry ingredients to a medium-size mixing bowl and stir together until well combined.
Next, add the egg yolk mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
Step 5: Add the Melted Butter
Fifthly, add the melted butter to the mixing bowl with the waffle mixture and stir until well combined.
Step 6: Mix the Egg Whites
Sixthly, add the egg whites with the sugar and using the whip attachment, whip until it becomes fluffy and peaks.
Next, gently fold the egg white mixture into the waffle mixture taking care to not over stir.
Step 7: Preheat the Waffle Maker
Preheat the waffle maker to prepare the waffles according to the machine's directions.
Step 8: Make the Waffles
Lastly, using a (1) cup measuring cup, add (1) cup of the waffle mixture to the heated waffle iron.
Using a knife, spread it evenly across the waffle maker.
Make the waffles according to the time settings recommended by the waffle maker.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions For Belgian Waffles
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Tip #1: Use a 1 cup measuring cup to scoop the batter onto the waffle maker for the perfect amount.
Tip #2: The waffles are easy to remove from the waffle maker with a fork.
Tip #3: The waffles will freeze well and can be reheated in a toaster, so you can make a double batch.
Tip #4: While the waffles are cooking, start cleaning up measuring cups, mixing bowls and putting away ingredients. By the time they are all ready, all the preparation mess will be cleaned up and you can enjoy your waffles!
Want More Breakfast Recipes?
Check out these:
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Walnut Muffins
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based recipes made with clean, real food ingredients that you will love!
The BEST Homemade Belgian Waffles
For the dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Rumford Non-GMO cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar or xylitol
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (non-aluminum)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
For the butter:
- 1 stick organic grass-fed butter
For the eggs:
- 3 organic pasture-raised eggs (separated)
For the wet ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cup organic milk or non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
Prepare the dry mixture:
- Add all the dry ingredients to a medium-size mixing bowl, stir together until well combined, then set aside.
Prepare the butter:
- In a small saucepan, melt the stick of butter, then set aside.
Prepare the eggs:
- Separate the eggs into two small bowls - the egg whites in one bowl and the egg yolks in another bowl.
- Egg whites: Add the egg whites in a mixer bowl and combine with 2 tablespoons of sugar and beat until it peaks and is foamy, then set aside.
- Egg yolks: Add the egg yolks in a separate medium-size mixing bowl and combine with the milk and vanilla extract (wet ingredients).
Combine the wet + dry ingredients:
- Transfer the contents of the wet ingredient bowl with the contents of the dry ingredients bowl, and stir until well combined.
- Add the melted butter to the mixing bowl and gently stir in until well combined.
- Add the egg white mixture to the mixing bowl and gently fold in, taking care to not over stir.
Prepare the waffles:
- Using a (1) cup measuring cup, scoop the mixture onto waffle maker.
- Spread it evenly over the waffle maker with a knife or spatula.
- Cook the waffles according to the waffle machine direction and time suggestions.
- Remove the waffles with a fork and serve while hot.
- Repeat until all the waffle mixture is gone.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.