These Flourless Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Chia Seed Cookies are the perfect spring and summer dessert cookie.
I substituted the traditional lemon/poppy seed variation with a lemon/chia seed combination. They have a slightly tart flavor from the lemon and a subtle crunch from the chia seeds.
They're a delicate cookie but holds well together once you let them completely cool after taking them out of the oven and have a nice golden outer edge.
Traditional lemon and poppy seed cookies usually include ingredients like these:
S.A.D. Ingredients (Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies): Typical Ingredients: flour, eggs, butter (or worse, margarine), refined sugar
This healthier version is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, flourless, egg-free, soy-free, paleo-friendly and contains no refined sugar.
Want More Healthy Gluten-Free Vegan Cookie Recipes?
Check out these:
- Flourless Vegan Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Flourless Vegan Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
- Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal No-Bake Cookies
- or my CLEAN DESSERTS Cookbook with 72 plant-based gluten-free + vegan no-bake dessert recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Flourless Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Chia Seed Cookies
Yield 18 small cookies
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Grain-Free / Egg-Free / Soy-Free / Flourless / Paleo-Friendly / No Refined Sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the cashews and coconut oil to a food processor and process until they are creamy and smooth. This will take about 3-5 minutes as the cashews will turn from nuts, to flour, then to nut butter. Stop every minute or so to scrape the sides and help it along.
- Transfer the cashew butter to a medium-size bowl and add the remaining ingredients (lemon juice, granular sweetener, coconut flour, chia seeds, Himalayan pink salt).
- Stir everything together until it is well combined.
- Take out a spoonful at a time, roll the mixture into a small ball, then flatten it in the palms of your hands to make a small cookie shape, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place the cookies on a baking pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 12-14 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before removing them from the baking pan.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Flourless Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Chia Seed Cookies" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.