This Superfood Chocolate Cashew Butter with Spirulina Crunchies is an easy and healthy plant-based recipe made with only 7 clean, real food ingredients. It's a plant-based spread using homemade cashew butter, three different superfoods, and is ready to enjoy in under 10 minutes!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- Uses "Crunchy" Spirulina Instead of Spirulina Powder
- Can Be Prepared In Under 10 Minutes
- Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients
You can feel good about making my healthy, plant-based recipe because it's raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, has no refined sugar, and paleo-friendly.
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some of my expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Cashews: If you don't want to make homemade cashew butter, you can use organic store-bought cashew butter. Simply add it to the food processor with the other ingredients and process until it's creamy and smooth.
Coconut Oil: If you don't like the taste or smell of coconut oil, use organic refined coconut oil which has zero coconut taste or smell.
Medjool Dates: This isn't an overly sweet recipe, so you could add more dates if you'd prefer it sweeter.
Cacao Powder: This can be substituted with regular cocoa powder in the same amount.
Baobab Powder: I added this superfood to increase the nutritional profile of the recipe, but it can be omitted.
Vanilla Bean Powder: I prefer to use vanilla bean powder in my no-bake recipes because of the alcohol flavor that doesn't evaporate as it does in baked recipes, but you can substitute with organic pure vanilla extract in the same amount.
Spirulina Crunchies: This is 100% raw spirulina, but in tiny "crunchy" pieces instead of in a powder form. You can buy them online here, but you could also use spirulina powder instead.
Serving Size: This recipe will make approximately 1 1/2 cups of cashew butter. Nutritional information is for (1) tablespoon which is (1) serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
What's The Difference Between Spirulina Crunchies and Spirulina Powder?
Nothing except the texture! Both varieties are made with 100% spirulina.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Nut Butter Recipes?
Check out these:
- Crunchy Cacao Nib Chocolate Almond Butter
- Vanilla Maple Cashew Butter
- How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter
- or my CLEAN DESSERTS Cookbook with 72 plant-based no-bake dessert recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! 🙂
Superfood Chocolate Cashew Butter with Spirulina Crunchies
For the cashew butter:
- 2 cups organic raw cashews
- 1/2 cup organic Medjool dates (pitted)
- 1/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 4 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon organic baobab powder
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla bean powder
For the add-in:
- 2 tablespoons organic spirulina crunchies
Prepare the cashew butter:
- Add the cashews to a food processor and process until they become a creamy and smooth nut butter (about 3-5 minutes, scrape the sides every minute or so to help it along).
- Next, add the coconut oil and dates and continue to process until everything is creamy and smooth.
- Through the top chute of the food processor, add the cacao powder, baobab powder and vanilla bean powder and continue processing until it is creamy and smooth.
Add the add-ins:
- Remove the blade from the food processor, add the spirulina crunchies add-in, and gently stir in by hand until well combined and evenly distributed.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container. If you store it in the refrigerator, it will become solid due to the coconut oil. Just set it in a bowl of warm water to soften it up before using or let it sit on the countertop at room temperature until it softens.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.