These clean eating, energy packed Gluten-Free Vegan Almond Power Bars with Chocolate Topping are not only a nutrient-dense snack, but are made even more irresistible with a thick, healthy chocolate topping.
It's a simple recipe made with a nut combination of almonds, sunflower seeds and hazelnuts and can be ready in less than 10 minutes.
Most store-bough granola bars are highly processed and can contain lots of unhealthy ingredients like these:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Planter's Big Nut Bars, Chewy Triple Nuts Ingredients:
Ingredients: Peanuts, Corn Syrup, Crisped Rice [Rice Flour, Sugar, Malt Extract, Salt, Caramel Color, Mixed Tocopherols (To Help Protect Flavor)], Peanut Butter (Roasted Ground Peanuts), Evaporated Cane Juice Invert Syrup, Sugar, Whole Grain Rolled Oats, Almonds, Cashews, Contains Less than 1.5% of Whey (from milk), Soy Lecithin, Honey, Vegetable Oil (Peanut and/or Cottonseed Oil), Resistant Corn Dextrins, Granola (Whole Grain Rolled Oats, Brown Sugar, Whole Grain Rolled Wheat, Coconut, Canola Oil, Wheat Bran), Xanthan Gum, TBHQ (Preserves Freshness)
Many are not vegan and contain GMO ingredients (corn syrup, soy lecithin, canola oil), artificial coloring, preservatives and refined salt and sugar.
This healthier version is made with clean, real food ingredients and is raw, vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, no-bake, paleo-friend and contains no refined sugar.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal No-Bake Cookies, Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies, Flourless Chocolate Fudge Mint Cookies or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating dessert recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Almonds:*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Hazelnuts:*
- one cup contains 86% RDA of vitamin E
- rich in heart healthy unsaturated fats
- super high in B-vitamins: B1, B3, B5, B6 and B9
- one ounce has 2.7 g of dietary fiber
- one serving contains 90% RDA of manganese and 65% RDA of copper
5 Fast Facts About Sunflower Seeds:*
- rich source of vitamin E
- finest source of B complex group vitamins
- incredible source of folic acid
- rich in magnesium
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Raw Cacao Powder:*
- contains over 300 compounds including protein, calcium, copper, zinc and iron
- super high in anti-oxidants
- promotes cardiovascular health
- contains essential fats
- can help to decrease blood pressure
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #2: You can use many different variations with this recipe...use your favorite sweetener, change up the nuts and even use organic peanut butter instead of organic almond butter.
Tip #3: If you want to reduce the amount of sweetener in the recipe, just use 2 tablespoons of sweetener for the nut mixture instead of 3. I only used 2 tablespoons but if you want a sweeter bar, just increase it to 3 tablespoons.
Gluten-Free Vegan Almond Power Bars with Chocolate Topping
Yield 8 -16 servings
Raw / Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Grain-Free / Flourless / Egg-Free / No Bake / Paleo-Friendly / No Refined Sugar
For the bar:
- 2 cups organic raw almonds
- 1/2 cup organic raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup organic raw hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup organic almond butter
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla bean powder
For the chocolate topping:
For the bar:
- Add the almonds, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts and almond butter to a food processor and process for approximately 10 seconds for a "chunkier" nut texture or approximately 20 seconds for a "finer" nut texture.
- Transfer the nut mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl and add the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla bean powder. Stir until everything is blended well.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8 x 8 baking dish lined with parchment paper and press the mixture down firmly.
- Put in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes, or until firm.
For the chocolate topping:
- Add the raw cacao powder, coconut oil (melted) and maple syrup to a small bowl and stir until smooth.
- Remove the bars from the freezer.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the top of the bars and VERY QUICKLY spread in a thin layer. The chocolate will start to harden as soon as it touches the frozen bars and will be difficult to spread.
- Return the bars back to the freezer for approximately 15-30 minutes to allow the chocolate topping to harden.
- Transfer them to the refrigerator about 15-30 minutes prior to cutting and serving to soften them slightly.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator or freezer because they will get soft and lose their shape if left out at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from: https://elanaspantry.com/power-bars/
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membershiphttp://www.jdoqocy.com/click-5701456-12982167 and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe adaptations and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Almond Power Bars with Chocolate Topping" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, "The Healthy Family and Home" website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: "The Healthy Family and Home" website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.