Learn How To Make Homemade Almond Butter with only 2 clean real food ingredients in this easy and healthy recipe. You can use either a food processor or a Vitamix to enjoy this plant-based staple anytime!
Delicious, creamy homemade almond butter is super easy to make and you can be sure you'll always have some on hand when you need it.
How To Make Homemade Almond Butter
Here's why this recipe works - my top 3 reasons:
- Option to soak or roast the almonds
- Prepare in a food processor or Vitamix
- Made with only 2 clean, real food ingredients
Option To Soak Or Roast The Almonds
There are two options to use when making homemade almond butter:
- Soak the almonds - This method is used if you want 100% raw almond butter and will be using a food processor. There is a little extra inactive time with this method, but soaking the almonds neutralizes the enzyme inhibitors and increases beneficial enzymes.
- Roast the almonds - This method is used if you will be using a Vitamix. The almonds will be lightly roasted before adding to the Vitamix which will help release the oils and make blending easier.
Prepare In A Food Processor Or Vitamix
Making homemade almond butter with either a food processor or Vitamix is easy and I have instructions on how to prepare with both methods below.
Made With Only 2 Clean, Real Food Ingredients
When you make homemade almond butter, you can control the quality of the ingredients.
For example, you can use organic almonds since non-organic almonds can contain up to 9 different pesticide residue toxins.
There are only two ingredients needed to make this recipe: organic almonds and coconut oil.
Of course, you can customize your almond butter with a touch of Himalayan pink salt, or add cinnamon or vanilla bean powder.
This is an essential plant-based staple recipe that's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, lectin-free, contains no refined sugar and Medical Medium compliant.
How To Make Homemade Almond Butter: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here is how to make this recipe and I'll show you how with step-by-step instructions below:
How To Make Homemade Almond Butter in a Vitamix:
- 3 cups organic roasted almonds*
- 1/4 cup coconut oil.
*Please note: using the Vitamix method, you will be using roasted almonds and not raw, unpasteurized almonds and will not have a true 100% raw nut butter.
Step 1: Mix The Ingredients Together
Firstly, add the almonds and then the coconut oil.
Start at Variable 1 then slowly increase to Variable 10, then to High, using the tamper to push the nuts onto the blade.
After approximately 1 minute, you should hear a high-pitch chugging sound at which time you would stop the machine.
Step 2: How To Store The Almond Butter
Secondly, store in an air-tight BPA-free container.
For example, I like to use a glass mason jar to store mine.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions For How To Make Homemade Almond Butter
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Tip #1: You don't have to take this extra step, but soaking and drying your almonds before making homemade almond butter of homemade almond milk make them more nutritious. They need to be completely dried before using them and I use my dehydrator to dry my almonds after soaking them.
Tip #2: The recipe instructions shown below are for a food processor, but if you want to make it in your Vitamix, just use the instructions shown above.
Tip #3: I like to store my homemade almond butter in air-tight glass mason jars.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Vegan Homemade Staple Recipes?
Check out these:
- Homemade Almond Milk
- Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs
- How To Make Tahini
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
How To Make Homemade Almond Butter
- 3 cups organic raw unpasteurized almonds soaked overnight and dehydrated
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
Option 1: Soak + Dehydrate the almonds
- Soak the almonds overnight in a large bowl filled with filtered/purified water + a generous sprinkle of Himalayan pink salt.
- In the morning, rinse the almonds and dehydrate for at least 24 hours, or until they are completely dry.
- Once the almonds are dry, you can move to the next step to prepare the almond butter.
Option 2: Non-Soaking Method
- Add the almonds and coconut oil to a food processor and process until completely smooth and creamy. The almonds will go through different stages (flour, thick ball-shaped, smooth) but stop every minute or so and scrape the side to help it along until it becomes creamy. This process can take 5-7 minutes so be patient.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container, like a glass mason jar.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.