These cute little Clean Eating Gluten-Free Vegan Gingerbread Cookies are a healthy replacement for traditional gingerbread cookies that are normally made with white flour, butter, eggs and decorated with food colorings and GMO sugar-filled candy toppings.
They are bite-sized and have the gingerbread flavor with an optional unrefined sugar dusted topping.
Although you might miss out on getting to use a gingerbread man cookie cutter with these, you can still have fun in the kitchen with your little ones by making them into balls then flattening them into a cookie shape. And, they’ll have lots of fun dipping them in sugar (optional) before baking them too!
Whether you buy a boxed gingerbread mix or make a traditional version from scratch, the ingredients are not good.
Here’s the ingredient list for a popular store-bought box version:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cookie Mix Ingredients:
Ingredients: Enriched Flour Bleached (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sugar, Molasses, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil, Maltodextrin, Baking Soda, Spice, Cinnamon, Salt
That’s -bleached- flour, GMO white sugar, soybean oil and maltodextrin, and white refined salt.
And traditional homemade gingerbread cookies aren’t much better with the following typical ingredients:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Typical Homemade Gingerbread Cookie Ingredients:
Typical Ingredients: white all-purpose flour, margarine or butter and eggs
This healthier version is made with clean, real food ingredients and they’re vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, paleo-friendly and contain no refined sugar.
Want more healthy dessert recipes? Check out Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Spice Thumbprint Cookies, Flourless Chocolate Fudge Mint Cookies, Healthy Peanut Butter Cups or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Flour and Almond Butter):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Sugar:*
- low glycemic (GI of 35)
- raw, vegan and gluten-free
- unrefined and unbleached
- contains 17 amino acids
- is an abundant source of minerals and broad spectrum B vitamins
5 Fast Facts About Cinnamon:*
- contains anti-inflammatory properties
- helps to control blood sugar
- excellent source of manganese and iron
- can help to lower bad cholesterol
- aids in eliminating migraine headaches
5 Fast Facts About Cloves:*
- 2 teaspoons contain 126.4% DV of manganese
- 2 teaspoons contain 5.6% DV of fiber
- rich in minerals iron and potassium
- contains anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory properties
- helps aid in elimination of fungus, bacteria and parasites
5 Fast Facts About Ginger:*
- excellent for gastrointestinal relief
- anti-inflammatory benefits
- promotes immune boosting
- increases blood flow and relaxes peripheral blood vessels
- anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral
5 Fast Facts About Vanilla Bean Powder:*
- high in anti-oxidants
- can help reduce inflammation
- contains small traces of minerals
- 1 tablespoon contains 2 g of fiber
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
Yield 22 - 24 small cookies
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Grain-Free / Flourless / Dairy-Free / Egg-Free / No Refined Sugar
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup organic almond butter
- 3/4 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil (melted/liquid)
- 1 tablespoon organic ground ginger
- 1 3/4 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla bean powder
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground cloves
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all ingredients to a medium sized bowl and mix until well combined and the mixture has a slightly wet/crumbly texture. Adjust the sweetener and/or spices to your preference.
- Take out a spoonful at a time, squeeze it in the palm of your hand then make a fist shape to make it compact.
- Using the palms of your hands, flatten it into a disk shape and use your fingers to smooth the edges in a circle shape.
- Optional step: Dip the tops of each cookie into a small bowl filled with 1/4 cup of organic unrefined granular sweetener of your choice.
- Put the cookies on a baking pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes, taking care not to over bake because they will be too hard.
- Gently remove the cookies from the baking pan and transfer them to a baking rack to cool. They will be soft when they come out, but will firm up after they cool.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Gingerbread Cookies" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Thank you for your support of this website!