This Acorn Squash Rings with Walnuts and Dried Apricots recipe was created for this month’s theme for The Recipe ReDux…using a spice you never use.
“Spooky Spices: You know they are lurking there: Way in the back of your spice drawer. There lie the herbs, spices, or rubs that are getting dusty because you’re afraid to use them… you simply don’t know what to do with them! Well, pull them out and show us a recipe you created to deliciously conquer that fearful spice.”
I have spices and seasonings In my cabinet that I use regularly, like turmeric, oregano, red pepper flakes, dill, nutmeg, chipotle, cayenne, garlic, cinnamon, vanilla bean powder, cumin, chili powder and sage.
But the one little jar that sits quietly in the back of my cabinet eagerly waiting for me to choose it every time I reach for spices is Garam Marsala.
I remember buying it to make an Indian inspired dish and may have used it that one time, but I’ve never used it for anything else.
It’s really a shame because when I opened up the jar the aroma was unbelievable, rustic and sweet.
The word “garam” means “hot” and the word “marsala” means “mixture of spices” and is just that…a mixture of several different spices:
coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom, black peppercorns, bay leaves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger
There are ingredient variations to the mixture and if you use it frequently, you could save money by making it from scratch instead of purchasing a jar of Garam Marsala.
I’m glad I chose to use this spice mixture for this recipe because I forgot how powerful the flavors are and I can already think of many other things to make with it!
5 Fast Facts About Acorn Squash:*
- 1/2 cup contains 15% DV of vitamin c
- 1/2 cup contains 2% DV of iron
- good source of beta carotene
- 1 serving contains 9 g of fiber
- 1/2 serving contains 13% RDA of potassium
5 Fast Facts About Walnuts:*
- high quality vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
- rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- high in vitamin C
- improves blood lipids and other cardiovascular risk factors
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
5 Fat Facts About Apricots:*
- contains 16% RDA of vitamin C
- helps prevent inflammation
- excellent source of anti-oxidants
- good source of potassium
- provides 64% RDA of vitamin A
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
[inlinkz_linkup id=449882 mode=1]