These Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are an easy and healthy recipe made with clean, real food ingredients. It's the perfect plant-based side dish that's made with perfectly baked potato slices and covered in a dairy-free "cheesy" sauce that everyone will love!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- It's 100% Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free + Vegan - No butter, cheese, or even white flour. And even better - no vegan butter or vegan cheese meaning zero processed ingredients!
- Can Be Prepared In About 10 Minutes - It's quick and easy to prepare then just about 45 minutes of inactive time while the potatoes bake with golden brown edges.
- Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients - Nutrient-dense and healthy ingredients such as potatoes, avocado oil, cashews, almond milk, ground turmeric, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, lemon juice, tapioca, and Himalayan pink salt.
You can feel good about making my healthy, plant-based recipe because it's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and Medical Medium compliant.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Best Potatoes To Use?
For this recipe, the best variety of potatoes to use would be a starchy potato such as Yukon Gold or Russet, since the starchiness will help thicken the sauce.
How Thin Should I Slice My Potatoes?
You should slice them evenly and thin - between 1/8-inch to 1/4 inch which will help them bake evenly.
Do I Need To Peel My Potatoes?
You can if you prefer, but I like to leave them on because they will get crispy and golden around the edges.
How Can I Make This A Meal?
You can add slices of Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage Sausages (vegan but not gluten-free) between the potato slices to transform the recipe from a side dish to a meal.
They can be found at Whole Foods and even Walmart.
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Substitutions
Here are some of my expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Potatoes: The best types of potatoes to use for this recipe are a starchy potato such as Russet or Yukon Gold. In addition, make sure they are cut thin, approximately 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thick so they will bake evenly. Depending on the size of your potatoes, you may need more or less than (8) potatoes to have enough sliced to fill the 8 x 8 baking dish.
Avocado Oil: I prefer to use avocado oil when baking for an extended period of time, but you can substitute it with organic extra-virgin olive oil.
Cashews: Soak the cashews while the potatoes are baking which will make the cashews soft and the sauce extra smooth. Simply add the cashews to a bowl filled with filtered/purified water and let them soak for about 30-45 minutes, then drain and rinse before adding them to your Vitamix.
Almond Milk: Using homemade almond milk is my preference, however, you can always use your favorite unsweetened non-dairy milk. Another great option is to use Joi Organic Almond Milk which contains 100% organic almonds.
Lemon Juice: A freshly squeezed lemon will give the best flavor and nutrients since it hasn't been pasteurized, but you could also use store-bought organic lemon juice.
Smoked Paprika: I like to use "smoked" paprika because it gives the recipe a "smoky" flavor, but you could also use regular paprika.
Turmeric Powder: I added this to give the "cheesy" sauce the yellow color, but it could be omitted if you prefer.
Tapioca Flour: I used this as a thickener for the sauce, but it could be substituted with arrowroot powder in the same amount.
Himalayan Pink Salt: This is my salt of preference, however, it can always be substituted with sea salt.
Serving Size: This recipe will make approximately (4) servings. Nutritional information is for (1) serving.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Side Dish Recipes?
Check out these:
- Spicy Twice Baked Turmeric Potatoes
- Rosemary and Garlic Maple Glazed Carrots
- Garlic and Shallot Fingerling Potatoes
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! 🙂
Vegan "Cheesy" Scalloped Potatoes
For the potatoes:
- 8 organic russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure avocado oil
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 - 2 pinch organic ground black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 cup organic raw cashews
- 1 cup homemade almond milk
- 1 tablespoon tapioca powder
- 1 tablespoon organic lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 teaspoon organic onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon organic smoked paprika powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prepare the potatoes:
- Wash and dry the potatoes, then cut into thin slices about 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thickness and leaving the skin on.
- Add the sliced potatoes, avocado oil, Himalayan pink salt, and ground black pepper to a large mixing bowl and toss until everything is evenly distributed and well combined.
- Fill an 8 x 8 baking dish with the potato slices; making three rows and stacking the potatoes in each row in an upright position (like dominos).
- Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 45-60 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. The baking time can vary and will depend on how thin/thick the potato slices are, but you only need to bake them until they are soft.
Prepare the sauce:
- While the potatoes are baking, add all ingredients for the sauce to a Vitamix, and blend until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- When the potatoes are ready, remove them from the oven and immediately pour the "cheesy" sauce over the top while the potatoes are still warm.
- Optional: garnish with fresh chopped sage, rosemary, tarragon, or ground black pepper.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.