These Gluten-Free Vegan Belgian Waffles and an easy recipe to make for busy mornings. It's a plant-based breakfast that's healthier than store-bought waffles and is made without eggs, butter, or white flour!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- Made Without Eggs, Butter, or White Flour
- It's 100% Vegan and Gluten-Free
- Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients
You can feel good about making my healthy, plant-based recipe because it's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, grain-free, paleo-friendly, and Medical Medium compliant.
Here's another option for toppings: bananas, crushed goji berries, crushed pistachios and drizzled with maple syrup:
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some of my expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Chickpea Flour: I haven't tested the recipe using any other type of gluten-free flour. Since "chickpea flour" is not a neutral-flavored flour, the waffles will have a somewhat strong, distinctive "chickpea flour" taste to them. If you don't like the taste of chickpea flour, this would not be a good recipe to try.
Homemade Almond Milk: This can be substituted with your favorite plant-based milk. Another great option is Joi Organic Almond Milk made with 100% organic almonds.
Lemon Juice: This acidic ingredient is used to make "buttermilk" in the recipe. It can be substituted with organic apple cider vinegar (not Medical Medium compliant).
Cane Sugar: Feel free to substitute with your favorite organic unrefined granular sweetener. In addition, these are not overly sweet waffles so you can increase the amount of sweetener if you prefer a sweet waffle.
Tahini: I added this ingredient as a "fat" but it can be omitted if you prefer.
Himalayan Pink Salt: This is my salt of preference, however, it can always be substituted with sea salt.
Waffle Iron Tip: These can be a little tricky coming off the waffle iron and need to be handled with care. You may want to spray the iron with a non-GMO cooking spray, such as coconut oil or avocado oil to help with this. Make sure you leave them on the iron long enough to get crispy on the outside, as well as cook all the way through on the inside. If you are using the same brand of waffle iron I have, I have found the best results with the setting in the middle of "2" and "3".
Serving Size: This recipe will make approximately (4) full-size waffles. Nutritional information is for (1) waffle which is (1) serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are These Waffles Healthy?
In my opinion, yes!
Let's look at the ingredient list for a popular store-bought waffle brand:
- S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Kellogg's Buttermilk Waffles Ingredients: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, VITAMIN B1 [THIAMIN MONONITRATE], VITAMIN B2 [RIBOFLAVIN], FOLIC ACID), WATER, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN, PALM, AND/OR CANOLA OIL), EGGS, BUTTERMILK, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF SALT, SOY LECITHIN. Vitamins and Minerals: CALCIUM CARBONATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B1 (THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN).
My healthier version is made without eggs, dairy, or white flour and doesn't contain synthetic vitamins.
Want More Healthy Breakfast Recipes?
Check out these:
- Baked Oatmeal Breakfast Squares
- Vanilla Bean and Wild Blueberry Chia Seed Pudding
- Gluten-Free Vegan Biscuits
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! : )
Gluten-Free Vegan Belgian Waffles
For the waffles:
- 2 cups organic chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons 100% pure avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon organic tahini
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
For the "buttermilk":
- 2 cups homemade almond milk
- 1 tablespoon organic lemon juice
- Preheat your waffle iron.
Prepare the "buttermilk":
- Add the ingredients for the "buttermilk" to a small bowl and let it sit for a few minutes, then whisk before adding to the other ingredients.
Prepare the waffle mixture:
- Add all the ingredients for the waffles, including the "buttermilk", and gently stir together until well combined.
- Pour the batter onto your waffle iron and cook according to your waffle maker directions.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with homemade coconut cream, your favorite fruit, or maple syrup.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.