This Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Hummus is an easy and healthy recipe made with clean, real food ingredients. It's the perfect plant-based snack that's ready in under 30 minutes and goes great with gluten-free crackers, chips or your favorite veggies!
Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Hummus
Here's why this recipe works - my top 3 reasons:
- Versatile plant-based snack or appetizer
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Made with clean, real food ingredients
Versatile Plant-Based Snack or Appetizer
This is a versatile plant-based recipe because it can be used for so many things.
- Dip - dip your favorite veggies, gluten-free chip or gluten-free crackers (these are my favorite!)
- Spead - it goes great as a spread on a wrap, in a sandwich, with a veggie burger or gluten-free toast
- Dressing - the hummus is thin enough that it makes a delicious sauce or dressing over gluten-free pasta or even a salad
Ready In Under 30 Minutes
While the hummus itself takes less than 5 minutes to make, you'll need to spend a little extra time roasting the bell peppers and garlic.
However, it only takes a few minutes to prep then and the roasting time is inactive time, meaning no hands-on work is needed.
Once the bell peppers and garlic is roasted, simply add them to a food processor with the other ingredients and blend everything together!
Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients
You'll love how this recipe is made with clean, real food ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
For example, ingredients such as chickpeas, red bell peppers, avocado oil, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, jalapeno, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, and Himalayan pink salt.
My healthy recipe is plant-based, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, keto/low-carb, and Medical Medium compliant.
How To Make Spicy Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Hummus: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here is how to make this recipe and I'll show you with step-by-step instructions below.
Before beginning, preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 1: Prepare the Red Peppers and Garlic
Firstly, cut the tops off the bell peppers, slice them down the middle from top to bottom, then de-seed them and cut into 1-inch pieces.
Next, place the garlic red pepper slices face down onto the prepared cookie sheet.
Lightly brush them with avocado oil.
Roast them in the oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until soft and slightly charred.
Step 2: Prepare the Hummus
Secondly, add the roasted red peppers and garlic along with all ingredients for the hummus to a food processor.
Process until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
Taste and adjust the seasonings and/or spices to your preference.
Depending on how thick the hummus is, you may want to add a little water to thin it out.
Start with (1) tablespoon of water at a time until it gets to the consistency you like.
Step 3: How To Store the Hummus
Lastly, store the hummus in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions For Spicy Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Hummus
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Red Bell Peppers + Garlic. While these two roasted ingredients give this recipe a unique flavor, if you are short on time, you can still make this recipe without roasting them. Simply prepare the red bell pepper as directed and instead of placing the red peppers and garlic in the oven to roast, add it to the food processor with the other ingredients.
Avocado Oil. This can be substituted with organic extra-virgin olive oil in the same amount.
Lemon Juice. Freshly squeezed lemon juice will give the best flavor and nutrients since it hasn't been pasteurized, but you can also use store-bought organic lemon juice.
Jalapeno + Red Pepper Flakes. Since the heat in jalapenos varies, feel free to adjust the amount of both the jalapeno and red pepper flakes. Take a taste and make adjustments to your preference. In addition, if you don't like spicy foods or will be serving this to children, you may want to omit or reduce the jalapeno and red pepper flakes.
Himalayan Pink Salt. This is my salt of preference, however, it can always be substituted with sea salt.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Hummus Recipes?
Check out these:
- Classic Hummus
- Spicy Jalapeno Beet Hummus
- Sweet Potato Hummus
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Hummus
For the red bell peppers + garlic:
- 2 organic red bell peppers
- 2 cloves organic garlic
For the hummus:
- 1 can organic chickpeas (15-ounce can, drained)
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons organic tahini
- 2 tablespoons organic lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 organic jalapeno
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon organic red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
Prepare the red bell peppers + garlic:
- Cut the tops off the red bell peppers, slice them in half from the top to the bottom, then cut them into strips and remove the seeds from the insides.
- Place the red bell pepper strips onto the prepared cookie sheet face down and the garlic onto the cookie sheet.
- Lightly brush them both with avocado oil.
- Roast the red bell peppers + garlic for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until soft and slightly charred.
- Add the roasted peppers + roasted garlic to a food processor.
Prepare the hummus:
- Add all ingredients for the hummus to a food processor with the roasted peppers + roasted garlic and blend until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- You may need to add a little water if you want a thinner consistency. Add (1) tablespoon of water at a time until it has the texture you prefer.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.