This Gluten-Free Vegan Classic Hummus recipe is a “back-to-the-basics” classic recipe everyone should know how to make!
I may or may not be known to eat hummus by itself as a meal. No veggies. No chips. Just by the spoonful.
Yes, it’s true.
Hummus is such a simple but flavorful recipe that even a child can make it.
In fact, the official hummus maker in our home is my 10 year old son. He was wanting to eat hummus so often that I finally wrote the recipe down so he could make it himself. I had never written it down before and always made it with the same ingredients, but without measuring anything.
But since he wanted to start making it himself, I finally got around to officially writing it down and now am sharing it with you.
There’s lots of different ways and variations to making hummus like Lectin-Free Sweet Potato Hummus, Vegan Pistachio Mint Hummus, Smoky Chipotle Pumpkin Hummus, Vegan Jalapeno and Lime Hummus or Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus, but the classic hummus is the way my family likes it the best. Feel free to adjust the ingredients around until you come up with a ratio of everything that tastes just right to you.
One of the first things I panicked about when I saw the list of “do-not-eat” lectin foods was chickpeas. I panicked because I knew what that meant for me…no more hummus!
But you can prepare the chickpeas in a way to eliminate the lectins, or take the lazy way (my way!) and buy the brand that pressure-cooks them in advance, like this one.
So whether you need the recipe to be lectin-free or not, they are still the best brand to buy because they are organic and come in a BPA-free can.
Hummus can be spread on a wrap, used in a salad or as a dip with veggies or grain-free chips.
And, this recipe is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free and lectin-free (using lectin-approved chickpeas).
Want more healthy dip and dressing recipes? Check out Healthy Artichoke Dip, Raw Spinach and Avocado Dip, Lectin-Free Vegan Basil Pesto and Cauliflower Rice Dip or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating dip and dressing recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans):*
- excellent source of fiber
- good source of protein
- can help lower cholesterol
- provides better regulation of blood sugar
- can help decrease cardiovascular risks
5 Fast Facts About Tahini (Sesame Seeds):*
- high in calcium at 35% RDA
- excellent anti-oxidant
- lowers cholesterol
- reduces inflammation
- high in phytosterol
5 Fast Facts About Lemons:*
- extremely alkaline to the body
- blood purifier
- excellent for detoxification
- balances blood sugar levels
- contains powerful anti-bacterial properties
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Classic Hummus
Yield 2 - 4 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Lectin-Free / Nut-Free
- 1 can Eden Organic Garbanzo Beans (chickpeas)* (15 ounce can, drained)
- 2 tablespoons organic tahini
- 2 tablespoons organic lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves organic garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 2-4 tablespoons water (filtered/purified)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until it's creamy and smooth. Start with 2 tablespoons of water and add an extra 1 tablespoon more at a time if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- Adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Optional: Garnish with extra organic chickpeas, organic ground paprika or drizzle with organic extra-virgin olive oil.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Clean Eating Vegan Classic Hummus" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!
Hi, I’m Karielyn! I’m a cookbook author and creator of The Healthy Family and Home website. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.