If you're looking for an easy, healthy chickpea-free hummus, then my Lectin-Free Vegan Sweet Potato Hummus recipe is it!
One of the first things I thought of after discovering chickpeas / garbanzo beans were on the "do not eat" foods list for the lectin-free diet (and even paleo-vegan) was "what am I going to do about hummus?!"
I L.O.V.E. hummus but chickpeas are a primary ingredient. I've made a Raw Zucchini Hummus without chickpeas, but zucchini's are not lectin-approved.
And even though you can prepare the chickpeas from scratch by properly cooking them to remove the lectins, or buy a brand that has already done that, like this one, they may not be tolerated by everyone and are still not a paleo-approved food.
So what to do? Use sweet potatoes!
Sweet potato is a lectin-approved vegetable and is also on the list of foods to eat for thyroid healing and health, according to Anthony William in his book "Medical Medium: Thyroid Healing".
This is a great hummus recipe to use with veggies (both raw and roasted), my favorite grain-free chips and I even sometimes use it as a dressing on a salad.
Before making this recipe, you will need to have a baked sweet potato ready, so you can either bake one just for this recipe, or bake one in the oven while you're baking something else and it will be ready to use the same or next day.
This easy recipe is made with real, whole food ingredients and is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, lectin-free, chickpea-free and paleo-friendly.
Want more healthy dip and dressing recipes? Check out Vegan Pistachio Mint Hummus, Healthy Artichoke Dip, Lectin-Free Vegan Basil Pesto and Cauliflower Rice Dip or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating dip and dressing recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Sweet Potatoes:*
- contains anti-inflammatory properties
- contains 2 g of vegan protein
- contains 4 g of fiber
- high in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B5 and vitamin B6
- excellent source of potassium, copper and manganese
5 Fast Facts About Sesame Seeds (Tahini):*
- high in calcium at 35% RDA
- excellent anti-oxidant
- lowers cholesterol
- reduces inflammation
- high in phytosterol
5 Fast Facts About Limes:*
- aids in digestion
- fat burner
- contains more vitamin C than a lemon
- anti-oxidant and anti-biotic effects
- extremely alkalizing to the body
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Lectin-Free Vegan Sweet Potato Hummus
Yield 1 cup
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Lectin-Free / Chickpea-Free / Paleo-Friendly
Prepare the sweet potato:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pierce the outside of the sweet potato with a fork on all sides.
- Place the sweet potato on a baking pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 60 minutes.
Prepare the hummus:
- Once the sweet potato is ready, slice it in half, scoop out the insides with a spoon, and place them in a Vitamix (you should have +/- 1 cup baked sweet potato).
- Add the remaining ingredients to the Vitamix and blend until it's creamy and smooth, using the tamper if needed.
- Adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Lectin-Free Vegan Sweet Potato Hummus" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, "The Healthy Family and Home" website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: "The Healthy Family and Home" website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.