This plant-based Gluten-Free Vegan Sweet Potato and Cilantro Dip is an easy and healthy recipe made with real food ingredients, can be made in under 20 minutes using an Instant Pot and is Medical Medium compliant.
You can never have too many plant-based, healthy dip recipes on hand and this one will quickly become your new favorite!
Gluten-Free Vegan Sweet Potato and Cilantro Dip
Not that there's anything wrong with those, but sometimes you might crave something a little more savory.
My Sweet Potato and Cilantro Dip reminds me of a cross between the consistency of hummus and mashed sweet potatoes.
You'll love it because you can customize the seasonings and ingredients to your preference and even include add-ins like jalapenos or roasted asparagus.
If you want another savory sweet potato recipe, try my Sweet Potato Hummus...it's really good too.
This healthy recipe is made with clean, real food ingredients and is plant-based, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, paleo-friendly and Medical Medium compliant.
How To Make Sweet Potato and Cilantro Dip: Step-By-Step Instructions
Step 1: Gather The Ingredients
Firstly, you'll need to gather and measure all the ingredients you need to make this recipe.
Next, you'll need to prep the veggies:
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes
- Dice the onions and cut the jalapeno (if you'll be adding one)
- OPTIONAL: I like to add (1) jalapeno to mine, but if you don't like it too spicy, you can reduce it to a 1/2 jalapeno or just omit it.
Step 2: Mix The Ingredients Together In a Food Processor
Secondly, once your ingredients are prepped, you'll need to add them to a food processor to mix together.
You can process it until it gets to the consistency that you prefer, but I like mine to have the consistency of a thick hummus.
Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Store any leftovers in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions For Making Sweet Potato and Cilantro Dip:
- Cutting the sweet potato. How many sweet potatoes do you need to get 2 cups cubed? It depends on the size of your sweet potato, but I can get 2 cups with either (1) extra-large sweet potato or (2) medium-sized sweet potatoes. However, don't worry if you are a tad bit over or under 2 cups, it's fine.
- Preparing the sweet potato. There are two ways you can cook the sweet potato, either in an Instant Pot (which takes about 20 minutes total) or in the oven (which takes about 2 hours total). For instance, I used to make mine in the oven, but since I've purchased an Instant Pot, I prefer to make them quickly without heating my oven and waiting. However, don't worry if you don't have an Instant Pot, you can still make them in the oven! I have instructions for both methods in the recipe below.
- Seasonings. Because I tried to incorporate as many Medical Medium healing foods into this recipe, you may or may not like some of them so feel free to omit, adjust or add what you prefer.
- Add-Ins. I make this recipe so much, I like to play around with the ingredients to give it a little variety. For example, sometimes I like to add a jalapeno which makes it extra spicy, but if you don't like spicy or will be serving this to children, you may want to reduce or omit the jalapeno. Whenever I have roasted asparagus leftover, I add (1) cup to the recipe and it gives it an extra liver healing ingredient without affecting the flavor.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Sweet Potato Recipes?
Check out these:
- Cilantro Pesto Sweet Potato Salad
- Spicy Turmeric Oven-Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato "Toast" with Spicy Guacamole
- or check out my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with over 140 healthy, plant-based recipes just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan Sweet Potato and Cilantro Dip
For the sweet potato
- 2 cups organic sweet potato (peeled + cubed)
For the dip
- 1 cup organic fresh cilantro
- 1/4 organic red onion
- 1/4 cup organic hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons organic lime juice
- 2 tablespoons organic tahini
- 2 cloves organic garlic
- 1 teaspoon organic smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 organic jalapeno
- 1 cup organic roasted asparagus
Prepare the sweet potato:
- Instant Pot Method: Peel the sweet potato and cut into cubes. Add 1 cup filtered/purified water to the Instant Pot and add the cubed potatoes. Close the pressure valve on the lid and set it to PRESSURE COOK | HIGH for 5 minutes. Allow the sweet potatoes to pressure cook/steam release for an additional 15 minutes before removing the lid. Remove the sweet potato cubes from the Instant Pot with a slotted spoon.
- Oven Method: Prick the outsides of the sweet potato with a fork and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 1-2 hours, or until the insides are soft.
Prepare the dip:
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes and all other ingredients to a food processor and process until everything is well blended.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.