If you want a change of pace and a little spice to your regular twice baked potatoes, these Spicy Turmeric Twice Baked Potatoes are just for you!
They are very flavorful with the spices of turmeric and cumin and a little spicy from red pepper flakes.
My recipe uses two potatoes, which could be a meal for two or a side dish for four.
And don’t worry if you won’t have or want to use regular white potatoes…I’ve made this with sweet potatoes too and it’s just as good!
Traditional twice baked potatoes are usually filled with dairy…cheese, sour cream, yogurt and butter.
This healthy version is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo (based on Primal Palate’s paleo guidelines).
Want more healthy meal and entree recipes? Check out Spicy Chickpea and Tomato Soup, Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup, Creamy Red Lentil and Kale Soup or my Clean Eating eCookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating meal and entree recipes you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Potatoes:*
- one potato contains 16% dv of fiber
- one potato contains 39% of vitamin B6
- good source of zinc, copper and magnesium
- contains more potassium than a banana
- 20% of a potatoes nutrients are in it’s skin
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Milk):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Turmeric:*
- antibacterial and a natural antiseptic
- excellent for liver detoxification
- contains anti-inflammatory properties
- powerful anti-oxidant and it can inhibits cancer cell growth
- 2 teaspoons contain 17% dv of manganese
5 Fast Facts About Cumin:*
- high in anti-oxidants
- aids in digestion
- 1 tablespoon contains 20% dv of iron
- 1 tablespoon contains 6% RDV of magnesium
- can help lower cholesterol and triglycerides
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Shallots:*
- 1 cup contains 24% dv of iron
- good source of fiber
- 1 cup contains 11% potassium
- contains more antioxidants than onions
- contains 10% dv of folate
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: As I noted in the recipe section, I don’t use a microwave or aluminum foil so the method I use to bake my potatoes may not be the most time efficient. I usually start baking them a couple of hours before dinner and they are ready when I need them. Feel free to use your favorite method of making a baked potato if you need them quicker.
Tip #2: This is a spicy recipe so if you don’t like spicy or will be serving it you children, you may want to reduce or omit the amount of red pepper flakes.
Tip #3: Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Tip #4: This recipe will make approximately (2) servings or (4) small side dishes.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.