These Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Turmeric Twice-Baked Potatoes are an easy and healthy recipe made with clean, real food ingredients. It's the perfect plant-based side dish or meal and can be made with white or sweet potatoes!
Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Turmeric Twice-Baked Potatoes
If you want a change of pace and a little spice to your regular twice baked potatoes, these Spicy Turmeric Twice-Baked Potatoes are just for you!
They are very flavorful with the spices of turmeric and cumin and a little spicy from red pepper flakes.
My recipe uses two potatoes, which could be a meal for two or a side dish for four.
And don't worry if you won't have or want to use regular white potatoes...I've made this with sweet potatoes too and it's just as good!
Traditional twice-baked potatoes are usually filled with dairy...cheese, sour cream, yogurt, and butter.
My healthy plant-based version is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo (based on Primal Palate's paleo guidelines) and Medical Medium compliant.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions For Spicy Turmeric Twice-Baked Potatoes
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Tip #1: As I noted in the recipe section, I don't use a microwave or aluminum foil so the method I use to bake my potatoes may not be the most time-efficient. I usually start baking them a couple of hours before dinner and they are ready when I need them. Feel free to use your favorite method of making a baked potato if you need them quickly.
Tip #2: This is a spicy recipe so if you don't like spicy or will be serving it your children, you may want to reduce or omit the red pepper flakes.
Tip #3: Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Potato Recipes?
Check out these:
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Turmeric and Black Pepper Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic and Shallot Fingerling Potatoes
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Turmeric Twice Baked Potatoes
- 2 organic potatoes (white potatoes or sweet potatoes)
For the seasonings:
- 1/2 cup homemade almond milk
- 2 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1 teaspoon organic shallots (finely diced)
- 1 teaspoon 100% pure avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
Prepare the potatoes:
- Poke the outsides of the potato with a fork and place them onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1-2 hours, or until cooked and soft on the inside. Note: I don't use a microwave or aluminum foil, but feel free to use your preferred method of baking potatoes.
Prepare the filling:
- Once the potatoes have cooled, make a slice down the middle and using a spoon, scoop out the insides of the potatoes (being careful not to tear or damage the potato skins) and add the cooked potatoes to a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add all the ingredients for the seasonings and stir until well combined.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference and/or the milk to thin the consistency if needed.
- Divide the potato filling evenly between the 2 hollowed-out potato skins.
- Return the potatoes to the oven for approximately 10 minutes, or long enough to warm them back up.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped green onions or cilantro.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.