This plant-based Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Mexican “Spanish” Cauliflower Rice recipe is an easy, healthy one-pot meal that’s ready in less than 20 minutes and is Medical Medium compliant. Enjoy it as a side dish or wrapped in a burrito for a quick and easy meal!
If you’re ready for an easy, healthy one-pot recipe that’s ready in under 20 minutes, this one is for you!
Spicy Mexican Cauliflower Rice
The first time I threw this together, I made it for myself for a quick lunch.
I loved it so much that I made it again for my family – who happens to not be too fond of cauliflower rice.
But guess what?
They had no idea it was cauliflower rice and not regular white rice and even asked me to make it again.
I served it to them in burritos made with gluten-free tortillas and they probably didn’t notice the switch because there is so much flavor going on to even notice the cauliflower rice!
It’s made with fresh, organic veggies like onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, garlic and cilantro and is plant-based, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, paleo-friendly, keto-friendly (approximately 10 net carbs) and is Medical Medium compliant.
You’ll love how easy it is to pull this versatile dish together to use as a side dish, to make burritos, or even in quesadillas.
How To Make The Best Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Mexican / Spanish Cauliflower Rice: Step-by-Step Instructions
This Spicy Gluten-Free Vegan Mexican / Spanish Cauliflower Rice recipe is a one-pot dish that’s super easy to make!
Step 1: Prep the Veggies
Firstly, dice your veggies into small pieces. I like mine as small as possible, but you can cut them into the size that you prefer.
Step 2: Prepare the Cauliflower Rice
Secondly, if you will be using fresh cauliflower, there’s an extra quick step you’ll need to add.
For example, cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets, add them to a food processor and process until it becomes a “rice” consistency.
After you’ve processed the “rice”, you’ll need to squeeze it to remove any excess water.
For example, I take a handful at a time from the food processor and squeeze it in my fist and drain the excess water into a small bowl to discard.
Step 3: Saute’ the Veggies
Thirdly, saute’ the onions, garlic, and cauliflower until they are soft before adding the remaining ingredients.
Step 4: Add Remaining Ingredients + Simmer
Lastly, once the onions and cauliflower are soft from sautéing, add the remaining ingredients and spices and stir everything together.
Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions for Vegan Spicy Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower Rice. You can use either fresh cauliflower or frozen cauliflower rice. I use frozen organic cauliflower rice (primarily because I’m lazy!) and I always have at least 5 or more bags in my freezer at all times. However, you could also use cauliflower rice that you make with a food processor with a head of fresh cauliflower. If you use fresh, just make sure you let it simmer long enough for it to get soft.
Tomatoes. Any variety will work and if you’re in a bind, you can use organic canned diced tomatoes. Just make sure you buy a brand in a glass jar or BPA-free can.
Onions. I like to use organic white onions in this recipe. You can use any variety, however, I wouldn’t recommend “sweet” onions.
Avocado Oil. This can be substituted with organic extra-virgin olive oil.
Jalapeno + Cayenne Pepper. This is a “spicy” recipe, but you can make it “mild” by reducing or omitting the jalapeno and/or cayenne pepper.
Himalayan Pink Salt. This is my salt of preference but it can always be substituted with sea salt.
Seasonings. Taste the rice and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Cauliflower Rice Recipes?
Check out these:
- Gluten-Free Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Lemon Dill Tahini Dressing
- Cilantro and Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Vegan Mushroom Cauliflower Rice Risotto
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 3 cups organic cauliflower rice
- 2 cups organic tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup organic white onion (diced)
- 2 organic jalapenos (diced)
- 3 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure avocado oil
- 4 teaspoons organic green onions (diced)
- 2 teaspoons organic cilantro (diced)
- 1 teaspoon organic ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon organic chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper
Prep the veggies:
- Dice the onions, jalapenos, green onions, garlic, and cilantro.
Saute the veggies:
- Add the avocado oil, diced onions, diced jalapenos, and garlic to a skillet and lightly saute' on low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring until well combined, for about 2-3 minutes to make sure the cauliflower is soft and everything is evenly heated.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Optional: garnish with extra chopped green onions or cilantro.
Hi, I’m Karielyn! I’m a cookbook author and creator of The Healthy Family and Home website. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.