Here is a Healthy Artichoke Dip using clean ingredients and it’s also vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free.
You don’t have to sacrifice the tangy flavor of artichokes and the creaminess the chickpeas add for a unhealthy version.
Here are the typical ingredients in a traditional artichoke recipe:
Ingredients: 1 block cream cheese, 2 cups mayonnaise, 1 can artichoke hearts, 2 green onions, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
It’s basically cheese, cheese, cheese and mayonnaise.
5 Fast Facts About Artichokes:
- super high levels of anti-oxidants
- one medium artichoke contains 10 g of fiber
- excellent anti-inflammatory food
- good source of magnesium, potassium and phosphate
- contains high levels of folic acid (17% RDA)
5 Fast Facts About Chickpeas:
- excellent source of fiber
- good source of protein
- can help lower cholesterol
- provides better regulation of blood sugar
- can help decrease cardiovascular risks
5 Fast Facts About Lemons:
- extremely alkaline
- blood purifier
- excellent for detoxification
- balances blood sugar levels
- contains powerful anti-bacterial propeties
5 Fast Facts About Extra Virgin Olive Oil:
- provides significant fiber
- helps control blood sugar levels
- can reduce hypertension and high blood pressure
- increases appetite control hormones
- lowers bad cholesterol
5 Fast Facts About Nutritional Yeast:
- vegan source of vitamin B12
- contains 18 amino acids and is a complete protein
- boosts immune system
- excellent anti-oxidant
- contains 15 minerals
5 Fast Facts About Pink Himalayan Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
Tip #1: I added nutritional yeast to the original recipe to give it a little bit of a “cheesy” flavor. Feel free to add more if you’d like.
Tip: 2: I added the lemon juice to it (which was optional in the original recipe) because I love the tangy flavor it adds and thought it was perfect, but it might be too much combined with the artichokes if you aren’t a big fan of lemon/tangy and may want to leave it out.
Tip #3: I substituted chickpeas for great northern beans/cannelloni beans but you use those if you prefer.