These Clean Eating Gluten-Free Vegan Copycat Peanut Butter Tagalong cookies are a healthier version of the popular Girl Scout cookie that you can enjoy guilt-free.
If you aren’t familiar with the very popular tagalong cookie, it’s has a shortbread-type cookie bottom, a thick peanut butter middle and is covered in chocolate.
Of all the Girl Scout cookies I’ve eaten in my day, these were always my favorite.
They were really, really good…but they are also really, really bad.
Here’s the ingredient list in the original Girl Scout cookies:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Girl Scout Peanut Butter Patties Tagalongs Ingredients:
Ingredients: Sugar, Peanut Butter (Peanuts, Corn Syrup Solids, Palm Oil, Salt), Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel and Palm Oils), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Baking Soda, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Ammonium Bicarbonate, Natural and Artificial Flavor (source)
FoodFacts.com Rating: “F”
They are made with GMO ingredients like corn syrup solids, high fructose corn syrup, soy lecithin and contain refined sugar and artificial flavors.
The other bad thing is non-organic peanut butter can possibly contain up to 8 different pesticides.
That’s why this is a perfect recipe to make your own homemade peanut butter with a Vitamix using 100% organic peanuts.
And, homemade tagalog versions aren’t much better either.
Here’s the typical ingredient list for a S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) homemade recipe:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Homemade Tagalong Ingredients:
Ingredients: 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup white sugar, 2 cups white flour, 2 tbs milk, 1 1/2 cups peanut butter, 3/4 cup confectioners sugar, 4 tbs butter, etc.
They’re have dairy (butter and milk), refined sugar (white sugar and confectioners sugar) and white flour, so they aren’t vegan or gluten-free.
This healthier version is “almost raw” (peanut butter), vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, no-bake and contain no refined sugar.
Want more healthy recipes? Check out Healthy Peanut Butter Cups, Clean Eating Peanut Butter Fudge, Clean Eating Chocolate Crunch Bars or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating dessert recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Peanuts (Peanut Butter):*
- excellent source of vitamin E
- high in folate
- contains tryptophan which helps fight depression
- good source of fiber
- excellent source of vegan protein
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Flour):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Maple Syrup:*
- contains manganese and zinc
- super high in anti-oxidants
- helps with inflammation
- 1/4 cup contains more calcium than the same amount of milk
- 1/4 cup contains more potassium than a banana
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Oil:*
- super high in lauric acid
- rich in antioxidants
- contains natural microbial and anti-bacterial agents
- helps to improve metabolism
- improves cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Coconut Flour:*
- highest dietary fiber found in any flour at 58% RDA
- 14% coconut oil
- 19% vegan protein
- helps to promote blood sugar health
5 Fast Facts About Vanilla Bean Powder:*
- high in anti-oxidants
- can help reduce inflammation
- contains small traces of minerals
- 1 tablespoon contains 2 g of fiber
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #2: These are best cold, right out the freezer!
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.