This Gluten-Free Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala Stew is a spicy + hearty one-pot meal that’s ready in about 30 minutes and the hardest part of making it (for me!) is pulling all the spices out of the cabinet lol!
I “veganized” it by replacing chicken in the traditional recipe with vegan-friendly chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) and replaced the heavy cream with full-fat coconut milk.
It’s really simple to make…all you need to do is diced your onion, then saute’ it with extra-virgin olive oil and crushed garlic. Then you’ll add the magic spice combination and the chickpeas and diced tomatoes. That’s it! After it simmers for about 10-15 minutes, you’ll add an entire can of full-fat coconut milk to give it the creaminess that replaces heavy cream.
And don’t fret when you look at the ingredient list because the majority of the ingredients are the delicious and aromatic spices and seasonings that give this dish it’s classic flavor.
You can serve this recipe over organic white rice or just enjoy by itself, which is how my family likes to eat it. It’s also freezer-friendly so you can even make a double batch and save some for a busy weeknight dinner.
This healthy meal is made with clean, real food ingredients and it’s vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free.
Want more healthy meal and entree recipes? Check out Lectin-Free Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cauliflower Rice Soup, Gluten-Free Vegan Beefless “Beef” Stew, Dr. Group’s Liver Cleanse Soup or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating meal and entree recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans):*
- excellent source of fiber
- good source of protein
- can help lower cholesterol
- provides better regulation of blood sugar
- can help decrease cardiovascular risks
5 Fast Facts About Tomatoes:*
- contains lycopenes which are cancer fighting agents
- high in beta-carotene
- excellent anti-oxidant
- high in vitamin A and K
- high in chromium which helps control blood sugar levels
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Onions:*
- rich source of sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduced blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Coconuts (Coconut Milk):*
- 2 tablespoons contain 4.6 g RDA of dietary fiber
- healthy source of medium-chain fatty acids
- can help to decrease cholesterol
- high in lauric acid
- excellent source of manganese at 60% RDA and iron at 11% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Cayenne Pepper:*
- increases metabolism
- improves high blood pressure
- has anti-fungal properties
- circulatory stimulant which aids in detoxification
5 Fast Facts About Cumin:*
- high in anti-oxidants
- aids in digestion
- 1 tablespoon contains 20% dv of iron
- 1 tablespoon contains 6% RDV of magnesium
- can help lower cholesterol and triglycerides
5 Fast Facts About Turmeric:*
- antibacterial and a natural antiseptic
- excellent for liver detoxification
- contains anti-inflammatory properties
- powerful anti-oxidant and it can inhibits cancer cell growth
- 2 teaspoons contain 17% DV of manganese
5 Fast Facts About Ginger:*
- excellent for gastrointestinal relief
- anti-inflammatory benefits
- promotes immune boosting
- increases blood flow and relaxes peripheral blood vessels
- anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala
Yield 4 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Nut-Free
- 3 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup organic onions (diced)
- 3 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1 tablespoon organic garam masala
- 2 teaspoons organic ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons organic ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon organic ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 2 cans organic garbanzo "chickpeas" (13.5 ounce cans, drained + rinsed)
- 2 cans organic diced tomatoes (14.5 ounce cans, entire cans)
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (13.5 ounce can, entire can)
Optional: Organic white rice
- Add the olive oil, diced onions and garlic to a large saucepan and saute on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add all the remaining spices: garam masala, cumin, paprika, turmeric, ginger, cayenne pepper and Himalayan pink salt and stir until well combined.
- Add the cans of drained + rinsed chickpeas and the entire cans of diced tomatoes to the saucepan and stir.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low-medium and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Optional: While the stew is simmering, you can mash some or all of the chickpeas on the side of the saucepan with a fork and it will thicken the mixture.
- Optional: If you choose to make this meal with organic white rice, you can prepare it while the stew is simmering, according to the package instructions.
- After the stew has simmered, add the entire can of coconut milk and stir until well combined. Adjust the seasonings to your preference. Let it simmer on low heat for another 5 minutes before serving.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped green onions or fresh cilantro.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!