This Gluten-Free Vegan Spicy Chickpea and Tomato Soup is an easy and healthy recipe made with clean, real food ingredients. It's the perfect plant-based one-pot meal for a busy weeknight and can be ready to serve in about 15 minutes!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- It's A One-Pot Recipe
- Ready In Under 15 Minutes
- Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients
You can feel good about making my healthy, plant-based recipe because it's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, and Medical Medium® compliant.
What Goes Into This Recipe
Here are the nutrient-dense ingredients used to make this recipe:
How To Make This Recipe: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here is how to make this recipe and I'll show you how easy it is with step-by-step instructions below.
Step 1: Prepare The Saute'
Firstly, add the ingredients for the saute' to a medium or large saucepan.
Lightly saute' on medium/high heat until the onions are soft, stirring the entire time.
Step 2: Prepare The Soup
Secondly, add all the ingredients for the soup to the saucepan and stir until well combined.
Continuing stirring on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, or until the soup is hot.
While the soup is cooking, I like to use the back of a wooden spoon or fork to mash about 80% of the chickpeas leaving the other 20% whole so the soup isn't too "chunky".
Step 3: Add The Coconut Milk
Thirdly, add the entire can of coconut milk to the saucepan and stir until well combined.
Leave the heat on medium/high heat just long enough to warm it to your preference.
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some of my expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Avocado Oil: Can be substituted with organic extra-virgin olive oil.
Onions: I used finely diced white onions for this recipe, but feel free to use your favorite variety or whatever you have on hand. However, I do not recommend using a sweet onion since this is a savory recipe.
Chickpeas: They will need to be drained before adding to the saucepan. An optional step that I really like is to mash about 80% of the chickpeas with the back of a wooden spoon or with a fork while I'm stirring them with the rest of the soup ingredients.
Tomatoes: You can use fresh diced tomatoes, such as Roma tomatoes, or if you are short on time or don't have fresh, you can use Muir Glen Organic Fire-Roasted Tomatoes which give it a really deep tomato flavor. However, if you need this recipe to be 100% Medical Medium® compliant, you will need to use fresh tomatoes or a brand that does not use citric acid in the ingredients.
Jalapeno: This is what gives the soup its spicy flavor. Since the heat in jalapenos varies, feel free to use more or less than (1) jalapeno to your preference.
Ginger: I've used both organic ground ginger and freshly grated ginger and either will work fine.
Seasonings: Feel free to adjust the amount of each seasoning to your preference.
Coconut Milk: You will need to add the entire can of full-fat coconut milk.
Serving Size: This recipe will make approximately (4) cups of soup. Nutritional information is for (1) cup which is (1) serving.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Soup Recipes?
Check out these:
- Creamy Red Lentil with Kale Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! 🙂
Spicy Chickpea and Tomato Soup
- Large Saucepan
For the saute:
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure avocado oil
- 1/2 cup organic onion (diced)
For the soup:
- 1 can organic chickpeas (15-ounce can, drained)
- 2 cups organic tomatoes (diced)
- 1 organic jalapeno (diced)
- 1 teaspoon organic fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon organic ground garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon organic fresh ginger (grated)
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground turmeric
For the add-in:
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (13.5-ounce can)
Prepare the saute:
- Add all the ingredients for the saute to a large saucepan and saute on low/medium heat for 2-4 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
Prepare the soup:
- Add all the ingredients for the soup to the saucepan and continue to stir for about 3-5 minutes, or until the soup is warmed.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Add the add-in:
- Add the entire can of coconut milk and stir until well combined just long enough to warm the soup to your preference.
- Optional: Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro or sliced jalapenos.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan (with a heavy focus on Medical Medium® compliant) and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.