This Gluten-Free Vegan Chickpea Apple Pecan Salad is an easy and healthy recipe made with clean real food ingredients and no mayonnaise. It's the perfect plant-based meal made with a creamy lemon dill tahini dressing that's ready in under 15 minutes for a delicious, no-cook lunch!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- A Versatile Plant-Based Meal
- Ready In Under 15 Minutes
- Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients
A Versatile Plant-Based Meal
This Gluten-Free Vegan Chickpea Apple Pecan Salad is a great summertime salad that is light with amazing flavors and textures.
And, there are so many options to enjoy this recipe, such as:
- In a salad - on a bed of fresh baby spinach or arugula
- In a wrap- a gluten-free or spinach wrap is great
- With gluten-free crackers or chips
- On toast as a sandwich - layered with romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced carrots, and thinly sliced red onions
- Lettuce wraps - same layers as a sandwich!
Ready in Under 15 Minutes
This is a quick and easy recipe that can be made with minimal effort, especially if you're busy or on the go.
Simply mash the chickpeas, prep the veggies and pecans, and whip up the dressing all in under 15 minutes!
Made With Clean Real Food Ingredients
You'll love how this recipe is made with fresh and clean real food ingredients, many that you probably already have on hand.
For example, chickpeas, apples, pecans, celery, onions, dill, lemon juice, tahini, maple syrup, and Himalayan pink salt.
It's a healthy plant-based meal that's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, and Medical Medium® compliant.
How To Make This Recipe: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here is how to make this recipe and I'll show you with step-by-step instructions below:
Step1: Prepare The Chickpeas:
Firstly, drain and rinse the chickpeas before adding them to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Using a fork or potato masher, mash the chickpeas.
Another option is to add the chickpeas to a food processor and pulse them until they have a coarse mashed consistency, taking care to not overprocess.
Step 2: Prep The Add-Ins:
Secondly, prep the add-ins by dicing the apples, celery, and onions into small pieces and chopping the pecans.
Step 3: Prepare The Dressing:
Thirdly, add all ingredients for the dressing to a small mixing bowl and whisk together until well combined.
Step 4: Combine All Ingredients
Fourthly, add the dressing and add-ins to the large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some of my expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
To make sure none of the ingredients overpowers the recipe, make sure the chickpeas are smashed really good and all the veggies are diced very finely in tiny pieces.
Chickpeas. These can be either mashed with a fork or potato masher. Another option is to use a food processor to process them to a coarse mashed texture, but taking care to not overprocess them because you will end up with hummus!
Apples. Any variety of apples will work - I've used both red Honeycrisp apples and even green apples and both are good.
Pecans. If you don't have or don't like pecans, you could also substitute with walnuts. If you need to keep the recipe nut-free, you can use roasted sunflower seeds which will still give it a nice crunchy texture.
Onions. I prefer to use red onions but have also used white onions. Feel free to use your favorite variety.
Dill. You can use fresh dill or dried dill and either will work fine.
Lemon. Freshly squeezed lemon juice will give you the best flavor and nutrients since it hasn't been pasteurized, but you can also use store-bought organic lemon juice.
Himalayan Pink Salt. This is my salt of preference, however, you can always substitute it with sea salt.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Salad Recipes?
Check out these:
- Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
- Roasted Artichoke Salad with Sesame Seed Vinaigrette
- Vegan Greek Salad
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! : )
Gluten-Free Vegan Chickpea Apple Pecan Salad
For the salad:
- 1 can organic chickpeas (15-ounce BPA-free can, drained)
For the add-ins:
- 1/2 cup organic apple (diced small)
- 1/2 cup organic pecans (chopped)
- 1/4 cup organic celery (diced small)
- 2 tablespoons organic red onions (diced small)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup organic tahini
- 1/4 cup organic lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 tablespoons organic fresh dill (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons water (filtered/purified) (filtered/purified)
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Prepare the chickpeas:
- Add the chickpeas to a medium-size mixing bowl and mash them using a fork or potato masher, then set aside.
Prep the add-ins:
- Dice the apples, pecans, celery, and onions into small pieces.
- Add the diced add-ins to the mixing bowl and set aside.
Prepare the dressing:
- Add all ingredients for the dressing to a small mixing bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Add the dressing to the mixing bowl and stir everything together until well combined.
- Serve on a wrap, bed of baby spinach, in romaine lettuce or with gluten-free crackers.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan (with a heavy focus on Medical Medium® compliant) and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.