My Vegan Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce will take a plain, boring potato side dish to a new level with the smokey paprika habanero dipping sauce.
Vegan Roasted Smashed Potatoes
Here’s why this recipe works – my top 3 reasons:
- An easy + fun way to serve potatoes
- Made with only 7 clean, real food ingredients
- Healthy plant-based vegan side dish
An Easy + Fun Way to Serve Potatoes
Finding different ways to serve healthy potatoes can be a challenge.
For example, potatoes that aren’t fried, laden with butter or cheese.
Enter “smashed potatoes” – a classic side dish just about as common as a baked potato.
They are baby potatoes that are boiled, smashed, brushed with avocado oil and then roasted to give them a soft potato on the inside and crispy outside.
In addition, I jazzed this side dish up a little bit with my special habanero sauce.
It has the smokey flavor from smoked paprika and a little heat from the habanero pepper.
And, you can make it in under 5 minutes with a Vitamix high-speed blender.
Made With Only 7 Clean, Real Food Ingredients
You’ll love how this recipe can be made with a short list of easily accessible ingredients.
In addition, you probably already have all the ingredients on hand – with the exception of habanero pepper.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions For Vegan Roasted Smashed Potatoes
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Tip #1: The variety of organic potatoes I used were called “Honey Gold” and they have a pretty golden color on the inside. I bought them at Whole Foods, but feel free to use whatever variety you can find or have on hand.
Tip #2: I garnished my potatoes with chopped kale, but you could also use chopped cilantro or parsley too.
Tip #3: The potatoes are really good even without the sauce, so if you have little ones or don’t like spicy foods, you could either leave out the habanero pepper or just serve them plain (without the sauce). And, if you are serving this to different family members who don’t all like a hot dip, you can just serve the roasted smashed potatoes by themselves or leave the habanero out of the sauce.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Side Dish Recipes?
Check out these:
- Spicy Lemon Sauteed Broccolini
- Acorn Squash Rings with Walnuts and Dried Apricots
- Rosemary and Garlic Sweet Potato Medallions
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Vegan Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce
Yield 2 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Paleo-Friendly
For the potatoes:
- 8 organic baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground garlic powder
For the sauce:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare the potatoes:
- Wash and scrub the potatoes and add them to a medium-sized pot of boiling water.
- Boil the potatoes for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until they become soft in the center.
- Strain the potatoes then place each one on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Using a fork, smash the center of the potato.
- Brush the inside and outside of each potato with avocado oil.
- Add the Himalayan pink salt and garlic powder to a small bowl and stir until combined. Sprinkle the garlic/salt mixture over the smashed potatoes. Adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until they become crispy on the outside.
- Serve with the Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce.
Prepare the sauce:
- Optional: Soak the cashews in filtered/purified water for about 15-20 minutes (or while your potatoes are roasting), then drain and rinse with filtered/purified water. This step will give the sauce an extra creamy consistency.
- Add all ingredients to a Vitamix and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Transfer to small individual dipping bowls and serve with the smashed potatoes.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Vegan Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.