My Vegan Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce will take a plain, boring potato side dish to a new level with the smokey paprika habanero dipping sauce.
The January 2015 theme for The Redipe Redux is: “The New Year is heating up with smoke and spiciness. From boldly flavored smoked salts to actual smoking techniques, subtly smoked food is on-trend. The same can be said for spice as we savor heat from harissa, sriracha and smoked paprika. Show us the healthy dish you’re heating up with smoke and/or spiciness.”
Smashed potatoes are a classic side dish…about as common as a baked potato.
They are baby potatoes that are boiled, smashed, brushed with oil (I prefer to use 100% pure avocado oil) and then roasted to give them a soft potato on the inside and a crispy outside.
But I jazzed this side dish up a little bit with the special sauce that has the smokey flavor from smoked paprika and a little heat from the habanero pepper which you can make in under 5 minutes with a Vitamix high-speed blender.
And, if you are serving this to different family members who don’t all like a hot dip, you can just serve the roasted smashed potatoes by themselves or leave the habanero out of the sauce.
Want more healthy side dish recipes? Check out Spicy Lemon Sauteed Broccolini, Acorn Squash Rings with Walnuts and Dried Apricots, Rosemary and Garlic Sweet Potato Medallions or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating side dishes that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Potatoes:*
- one potato contains 16% dv of fiber
- one potato contains 39% of vitamin B6
- good source of zinc, copper and magnesium
- contains more potassium than a banana
- 20% of a potatoes nutrients are in it’s skin
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Avocado Oil:*
- healthier cooking with smoke point of 500 degrees
- may help reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome
- helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- provides protection from cardiovascular disease
- good source of vitamin E
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:*
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Paprika:*
- boosts blood circulation
- one teaspoon contains 20% DV of vitamin A
- aids digestion
5 Fast Facts About Habanero Peppers:*
- provides anti-inflammatory benefits
- helps decrease cancer risk
- contains capsaicin to help prevent obesity
- helps to lower cholesterol and blood pressure
- excellent anti-oxidant
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: The variety of organic potatoes I used were called “Honey Gold” and they have the pretty golden color on the inside. I bought them at Whole Foods, but feel free to use whatever variety you can find or have on hand.
Tip #2: I garnished my potatoes with chopped kale, but you could also use chopped cilantro or parsley too.
Tip #3: The potatoes are really good even without the sauce, so if you have little ones or don’t like spicy foods, you could either leave out the habanero pepper or just serve them plain (without the sauce).
Vegan Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce
Yield 2 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Paleo-Friendly
For the potatoes:
- 8 organic baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground garlic powder
For the sauce:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare the potatoes:
- Wash and scrub the potatoes and add them to a medium-sized pot of boiling water.
- Boil the potatoes for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until they become soft in the center.
- Strain the potatoes then place each one on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Using a fork, smash the center of the potato.
- Brush the inside and outside of each potato with avocado oil.
- Add the Himalayan pink salt and garlic powder to a small bowl and stir until combined. Sprinkle the garlic/salt mixture over the smashed potatoes. Adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until they become crispy on the outside.
- Serve with the Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce.
Prepare the sauce:
- Optional: Soak the cashews in filtered/purified water for about 15-20 minutes (or while your potatoes are roasting), then drain and rinse with filtered/purified water. This step will give the sauce an extra creamy consistency.
- Add all ingredients to a Vitamix and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Transfer to small individual dipping bowls and serve with the smashed potatoes.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Vegan Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!