This Vegan Coconut Oil Biscuit recipe is super easy to make with only 6 ingredients and they're ready to enjoy in under 30 minutes. They're a one-bowl recipe made without eggs or butter!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- It's Made Without Butter Or Dairy - Coconut oil replaces the butter or shortening that's used in traditional biscuits and make these so light and velvety they almost melt in your mouth!
- Ready In Under 30 Minutes - It's a one-bowl recipe that is ready to enjoy in under 30 minutes!
- Healthier Than Store-Bought Or Traditional Homemade Biscuits - Say goodbye to "Bisquick" mix and "Pillsbury" biscuits in a can. This healthier version is made with only 6 ingredients you probably already have on hand!
"Bisquick" and store-bought "biscuits in a can" are made with unhealthy ingredients such as these:
- S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Bisquick All-Purpose Baking Mix Ingredients: Flour Enriched Bleached (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Vitamin B3, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B1, Riboflavin Vitamin B2, Folic Acid Vitamin B9), Soybeans Oil Partially Hydrogenated, and/or Cottonseed Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Dextrose, Salt
- S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Pillsbury Grand Buttermilk Biscuits Ingredients: Flour Bleached Enriched (Flour Bleached, Niacin Vitamin B3, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B1, Riboflavin Vitamin B2, Folic Acid, Vitamin B9), Buttermilk, Soybeans Oil Partially Hydrogenated (with Citric Acid to Protect Flavor), Sugar, Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate), Salt, Xanthan Gum
You are able to control the quality of ingredients with this homemade version by using organic unbleached flour, homemade almond milk, organic coconut oil, and Himalayan pink salt.
They were really quick to make and are vegan and dairy-free.
And, if you're looking for a gluten-free biscuit, I have a Gluten-Free Vegan Biscuit recipe too!
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Unbleached All-Purpose Flour: If you need this recipe to be gluten-free, please visit my Gluten-Free Vegan Biscuit recipe.
Homemade Almond Milk: Homemade almond milk is my milk of preference, however, you can use your favorite non-dairy milk. Another great option is to use Joi Organic Almond Milk made with 100% organic almonds.
Coconut Oil: If you don't like the taste or smell of coconut oil, use organic refined coconut oil which has zero coconut taste or smell.
Unrefined Granular Sweetener. I use this brand of organic unrefined sweetener, but feel free to use your favorite brand or whatever you have on hand. However, I would not recommend substituting with a liquid sweetener or a dark granular sweetener like coconut sugar.
Baking Powder: Make sure your baking powder is fresh - it really does make a difference.
Himalayan Pink Salt: This is my salt of preference, however, you can always substitute it with sea salt.
Important Baking Tip: Allow the biscuits to completely cool before removing them from the cookie sheet or they will be crumbly and fall apart.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes?
Check out these:
- Raspberry and Banana Chia Pudding
- Banana Walnut Muffins
- Dark Cherry and Acai Berry Smoothie Bowl
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! 🙂
Vegan Coconut Oil Biscuits
For the biscuits:
- 2 cups organic all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3/4 cups homemade almond milk
- 2 tablespoons unrefined granular sweetener
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
For the add-in:
- 1/2 cup organic refined coconut oil (solid, not melted)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
Prepare the biscuit mixture:
- Add all ingredients for the biscuits to a medium-sized bowl and stir until well combined.
- Next, add in the coconut oil add-in and stir until it has a slightly crumbly texture.
- Take out a handful at a time and gently shape into a round biscuit shape, taking care not to over handle the dough, and place them on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until they are golden on the top.
- IMPORTANT: Allow the biscuits to cool completely before handling or removing from the cookie sheet. If they are removed before the coconut oil has time to solidify, they will crumble and fall apart.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan (with a heavy focus on Medical Medium® compliant) and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.