This delicious Dark Cherry and Acai Berry Smoothie Bowl pretty much happened by accident, but all came together just perfectly.
Since it was the day before grocery day, I was completely out of fresh fruit.
So I checked my freezer because I always have bags of frozen organic fruit to use for my smoothies and hidden under bags of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and mango was one little bag of frozen organic dark sweet cherries...so that's what I used.
If you've ever tried the frozen acai berry smoothie packs, they have a slight chocolate flavor to them, although they have no chocolate in them at all.
They are made from the acai berry fruit which is loaded with antioxidants and healthy omega fats.
But when I mixed everything together, it almost tasted like a frozen chocolate cherry treat...it was delicious!
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions for Dark Cherry + Acai Berry Smoothie Bowl
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Tip #1: If you prefer your smoothie bowl to be a little thicker, just slightly reduce the amount of milk.
Tip #2: I like to use homemade almond milk when I make smoothie bowls, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
Tip #3: I added the superfood baobab powder for extra nutrients, but it can be omitted.
Tip #4: I used organic frozen dark sweet cherries, but fresh organic cherries should work fine too. Just don't use the processed, artificially colored "cherries" in a jar that are covered in high fructose corn syrup...bad, bad, bad.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Vegan Smoothie Recipes?
Check out these:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- Blueberry Acai Protein Smoothie Bowl
- Kale and Banana Green Smoothie
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan Dark Cherry and Acai Berry Smoothie Bowl
- 2 packs Acai Berry Smoothie Packs (frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups homemade almond milk
- 1 cup organic dark sweet cherries (frozen)
- 1 handful organic kale (de-stemmed)
- 2 teaspoons organic baobab powder
- Add all ingredients to a Vitamix and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Optional: Garnish with extra cherries, cacao nibs and/or shredded coconut flakes
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home™ website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based and Medical Medium® compliant recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.