This Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is made with clean, whole food ingredients and is a quick and simple meal that’s perfect for a cozy dinner or even Meatless Monday.
It can be made in about 10 minutes from start to finish using a Vitamix and it’s ready to go!
I wasn’t sure if my two young boys would like it, but they did! So if they liked it, I’m officially calling it “kid-friendly”.
I had recently received a beautiful bunch of organic asparagus in my weekly delivery from Farmbox Direct (they deliver organic fruits and vegetables straight to your door) and knew exactly what I was going to make with this bunch…a homemade soup.
If you’ve never made a homemade soup before, you will be amazed at how fresh it tastes and will definitely tell the difference between whole food ingredients and highly processed ingredients.
Here’s the ingredient list for a similar mainstream store-bought soup:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup Ingredients:
Ingredients: Water, Asparagus, Vegetables Oil (Corn Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Canola Oil, Soybeans Oil), Food Starch Modified, Wheat Flour, Cream, Contains less than 2% of, Salt, Whey Dried, Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Spices (source)
This is a can with four different GMO oils (corn oil, cottonsead oil, canola oil, soybeans oil), GMO dairy, refined salt and wheat, making it a non-gluten-free food.
Traditional homemade Cream of Asparagus Soups also contain dairy and need longer preparation times.
This healthier version is made with whole food ingredients and is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free and paleo-friendly.
Want more healthy meal and entree recipes? Check out Creamy Vegetable Minestrone Soup, Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup, Pasta with Asparagus and Creamy Mushroom Sauce or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Asparagus:*
- high in antioxidants
- contains anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
- excellent source of folate at 66% RDA
- excellent source of vitamin K at 114% RDA
- excellent source of vitamin C at 30% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Onions:*
- rich source of sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduced blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Coconut:*
- 2 tablespoons contain 4.6 g RDA of dietary fiber
- healthy source of medium-chain fatty acids
- can help to decrease cholesterol
- high in lauric acid
- excellent source of manganese at 60% RDA and iron at 11% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: I listed the amount for the Himalayan pink salt and ground black pepper as 1/2 – 1 teaspoon. I actually used the full 1 teaspoon for both and LOVED it, but you may want to start with the 1/2 and add more if you feel it needs it.
Tip #2: When you prepare the veggies in the first step of the recipe, you don’t have to take the time to dice them up into small pieces, they will get blended up in the blender anyway. Just cut them into small enough pieces that will make it easier to handle when you saute them.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission.