This Lectin-Free Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is made with clean, whole food ingredients and is a quick and simple meal that’s perfect for a cozy dinner or even Meatless Monday.
It can be made in about 10 minutes from start to finish using a Vitamix and it’s ready to go!
I wasn’t sure if my two young boys would like it, but they did! So if they liked it, I’m officially calling it “kid-friendly”.
I had recently received a beautiful bunch of organic asparagus in my weekly delivery from Farmbox Direct (they deliver organic fruits and vegetables straight to your door) and knew exactly what I was going to make with this bunch…a homemade soup.
If you’ve never made a homemade soup before, you will be amazed at how fresh it tastes and will definitely tell the difference between whole food ingredients and highly processed ingredients.
Here’s the ingredient list for a similar mainstream store-bought soup:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup Ingredients:
Ingredients: Water, Asparagus, Vegetables Oil (Corn Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Canola Oil, Soybeans Oil), Food Starch Modified, Wheat Flour, Cream, Contains less than 2% of, Salt, Whey Dried, Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Spices
This is a can with four different GMO oils (corn oil, cottonsead oil, canola oil, soybeans oil), GMO dairy, refined salt and wheat, making it a non-gluten-free and non-vegan food.
Traditional homemade Cream of Asparagus Soups also contain dairy and need longer preparation times.
This healthier version is made with whole food ingredients and is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, lectin-free, nut-free, alkaline and paleo-friendly.
Want more healthy meal and entree recipes? Check out Creamy Vegetable Minestrone Soup, Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup, Pasta with Asparagus and Creamy Mushroom Sauce or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Asparagus:*
- high in antioxidants
- contains anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
- excellent source of folate at 66% RDA
- excellent source of vitamin K at 114% RDA
- excellent source of vitamin C at 30% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Onions:*
- rich source of sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduced blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:*
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains anti-bacterial and analgesic properties
- helps to lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Coconut:*
- 2 tablespoons contain 4.6 g RDA of dietary fiber
- healthy source of medium-chain fatty acids
- can help to decrease cholesterol
- high in lauric acid
- excellent source of manganese at 60% RDA and iron at 11% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:*
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in anti-oxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- contains anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Tip #1: I listed the amount for the Himalayan pink salt and ground black pepper as 1/2 – 1 teaspoon. I actually used the full 1 teaspoon for both and LOVED it, but you may want to start with the 1/2 and add more if you feel it needs it.
Tip #2: When you prepare the veggies in the first step of the recipe, you don’t have to take the time to dice them up into small pieces, they will get blended up in the blender anyway. Just cut them into small enough pieces that will make it easier to handle when you saute them.
Lectin-Free Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup
Yield 4 cups
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Lectin-Free / Nut-Free / Soy-Free / Alkaline / Paleo-Friendly
For the sauteed veggies:
- 12 stalks organic asparagus
- 1 cup organic onion (diced)
- 3 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 2 teaspoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon organic ground pepper
For the add-ins:
Prepare the veggies:
- Cut the asparagus and onions into small pieces.
Prepare the sauteed veggies:
- Add the asparagus, onions, garlic, olive oil, Himalayan pink salt and black pepper to a skillet and saute on medium-high heat until the onions and asparagus become soft. Adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Prepare the soup:
- Add the vegetable broth and entire can of coconut milk to a Vitamix.
- Add the sauteed veggie mixture on top of the liquids in the Vitamix.
- Blend on "high" or the "soup" setting (if you have a model with pre-programmed settings) and blend until it's creamy and smooth.
- Warm it on the stove top or on the "soup" setting of your Vitamix.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Lectin-Free Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!