This Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is an easy and healthy recipe made with only 8 clean, real food ingredients. It's the perfect plant-based meal or appetizer made with fresh veggies than can be made in a matter of minutes using a Vitamix.
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- Healthier Than Store-Bought Soup - Uses fresh ingredients and is 100% vegan + gluten-free!
- Is Ready To Enjoy In Under 15 Minutes - You can have this recipe ready to serve from start-to-finish in less than 15 minutes!
- Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients - Nutrient-dense and healthy ingredients such as asparagus, onion, garlic, avocado oil, veggie broth, coconut milk, ground black pepper, and Himalayan pink salt.
You can feel good about making my healthy, plant-based recipe because it's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, keto/low-carb (8 net carbs), lectin-free, paleo-friendly, and Medical Medium compliant.
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some of my expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Asparagus: Make sure to trim the thick bottoms off each asparagus stalk before using. In addition, cutting the stalks into 2-inch size pieces will make it easier to saute' and blend.
Onion: I used a white onion in this recipe, but feel free to use your favorite variety. However, I do not recommend using a sweet onion since this is a savory recipe.
Garlic: Freshly crushed garlic will give you the best flavor, but you can always substitute with organic garlic powder or granules.
Avocado Oil: This can be substituted with organic extra-virgin olive oil.
Vegetable Broth: If you use "unsalted" veggie broth, you may want to slightly increase the amount of salt you use. And, if you use a "salted" veggie broth, you may want to decrease the amount of salt you use.
Coconut Milk: I used this as a dairy-free alternative to cream. You will need to use "full-fat" coconut milk in a can and not "reduced-fat" or boxed refrigerated coconut milk. In addition, make sure to add the entire can to your Vitamix.
Himalayan Pink Salt. This is my salt of preference, however, it can always be substituted with sea salt.
Serving Size: This recipe will make approximately (4) cups of soup. Nutritional information is for (1) cup which is (1) serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is This Soup Healthy?
In my opinion, yes!
Here's the ingredient list for a similar popular store-bought soup:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup Ingredients: Water, Asparagus, Vegetables Oil (Corn Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Canola Oil, Soybeans Oil), Food Starch Modified, Wheat Flour, Cream, Contains less than 2% of, Salt, Whey Dried, Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Spices
This is a can with four different GMO oils (corn oil, cottonseed oil, canola oil, soybeans oil), GMO dairy, refined salt, and wheat, making it a non-gluten-free and non-vegan food.
In addition, traditional homemade Cream of Asparagus Soups also contain dairy and need longer preparation times.
If you've never made homemade soup before, you will be amazed at how fresh it tastes and will definitely tell the difference between whole food ingredients and highly processed ingredients.
Can I Freeze This Soup?
Yes! Simply transfer the soup to an air-tight, BPA-free, freezer-friendly container after it is completely cooled and store in the freezer.
When ready to serve, leave it out a room temperature to thaw, then heat using one of these options:
- Stovetop - transfer the thawed soup to a medium-size saucepan and heat on medium heat until it is to your temperature preference.
- Vitamix - transfer the thawed soup to your Vitamix and lightly warm it on the "SOUP" setting.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Soup Recipes?
Check out these:
- Creamy Vegetable Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup
- Pasta with Asparagus and Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! 🙂
Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup
For the sauteed veggies:
- 12 stalks organic asparagus (trimmed + cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup organic onion (diced)
- 3 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 2 teaspoons 100% pure avocado oil
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
For the add-ins:
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (13.5-ounce can)
Prep the veggies:
- Trim the thick bottom ends of each stalk of asparagus and cut into 2-inch pieces, then dice the onions.
Saute' the veggies:
- Add all the ingredients for the sauteed veggies (including the prepped asparagus + onions) to a non-toxic skillet and saute' on medium-high heat for approximately 2-3 minutes, or until the onions and asparagus become soft.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Prepare the soup:
- Add the add-ins (vegetable broth + entire can of coconut milk) to a Vitamix.
- Add the sauteed veggie mixture on top of the liquids to the Vitamix.
- Blend on the "HIGH" or "SOUP" setting (if you have a model with pre-programmed settings) and blend until it's creamy and smooth.
- Warm it on the stovetop or on the "SOUP" setting of your Vitamix.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.