This Gluten-Free Vegan Beefless "Beef" Stew is an easy and healthy plant-based version of the classic comfort meal we all grew up with. It's a one-pot, budget-friendly meal that can be prepped in about 10 minutes and is meat-free, dairy-free and Medical Medium compliant!
This Gluten-Free Vegan Beefless "Beef" Stew is a hearty stew that's perfect for a Meatless Monday meal.
Gluten-Free Vegan Beefless "Beef" Stew
Here is why this recipe works - my top 3 reasons:
- Classic comfort meal made vegan
- One-pot meal that takes about 10 minutes to prep
Classic Comfort Meal Made Vegan
When I was a child, one meal that was on regular rotation in our home was the classic beef stew dish.
I enjoyed it, but always picked out the meat because my favorite part was the soft potatoes and carrots in the seasoned gravy.
So for my own family, I revised the classic comfort meal I grew up with and made without any beef at all because a) I would never buy beef and b) it tastes just as good without it.
You'll love that this is a very budget-friendly meal too!
For example, it's made with simple veggies and herbs like carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, and garlic.
And, you probably already have all the seasonings needed on hand like dried oregano, ground black pepper, sea salt, and a bay leaf.
If you want to make it even more filling, you can add organic white or brown rice to go with it or even mashed potatoes.
One-Pot Meal That Takes About 10 Minutes To Prep
It's a perfect dinner meal to make for a cold fall or winter evening and it's a one-pot recipe which means it's really easy to make!
For example, the hardest part of this recipe is prepping the veggies.
The rest is inactive cooking time, meaning all you have to do it put everything in one pot and let it simmer for about 30-45 minutes, checking it and stirring it every 15 minutes or so.
My healthier "beef stew" recipe is made with clean, real food ingredients and is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free and Medical Medium complaint.
How To Make Vegan Beefless "Beef" Stew: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here is how to make this recipe and I'll show you with step-by-step instructions below.
Step 1: Prep the Veggies
Firstly, prep the veggies by slicing the carrots, cube the potatoes into small pieces, and dice the onion and celery into small pieces.
Step 2: Saute the Onions
Secondly, add the avocado oil, onions, garlic, salt and pepper to a large soup pot.
Gently saute' for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
Step 3: Prepare the Soup
Thirdly, add the remaining ingredients, including the prepped veggies, to the soup pot and stir until well combined.
Step 4: Allow the Soup To Simmer
Fourthly, bring the soup to a boil.
Then reduce to low-medium heat and cook without a lid for approximately 30-45 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are soft.
Make sure to stir it every 15 minutes or so and check the liquid level.
You may need to add additional liquid to keep it at a "stew-like" consistency.
If so, add either additional water or veggie broth in 1/2 cup increments to keep the stew at your preferred consistency.
Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Step 5: How To Store The "Beef" Stew
Lastly, store any leftover stew in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions for Vegan Beefless "Beef" Stew
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Vegetable Broth. I prefer to use "unsalted" vegetable broth, but if you use "salted" vegetable broth, you may want to adjust the amount of Himalayan salt in the recipe.
Water. I highly recommend using filtered/purified water to use in your stew instead of tap water. For example, I use a Berkey water filter system when cooking in all my recipes.
Potato. I used a large "russet" potato, but feel free to use whatever variety you have on hand.
Onions. I like to use an organic "white" onion when making this recipe, however, any variety would work well except a sweet onion.
Avocado Oil. This can be substituted with organic extra-virgin olive oil.
Himalayan Pink Salt. This is my salt of preference, however, you can always substitute with sea salt.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Soup Recipes?
Check out these:
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Spicy Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Soup
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Gluten-Free Vegan Beefless "Beef" Stew
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups water (filtered/purified)
- 3 cups organic carrots (sliced)
- 1 large organic russet potato (peeled, cubed)
- 1 cup organic onion (diced)
- 2 stalks organic celery (diced)
- 2 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon organic dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 organic bay leaf
Prepare the veggies:
- Slice the carrots, cube the potatoes into small pieces, and dice the onion and celery into small pieces.
Prepare the soup:
- Add the avocado oil, onions, crushed garlic, salt and pepper to a large soup pot and lightly saute for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients (including the prepped veggies) and stir until well combined.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for approximately 30-45 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are soft, stirring it every 15 minutes or so.
- You may need to add additional liquid to keep it at a stew-like consistency. Add either additional filtered/purified water or veggie broth in 1/2 cup increments to keep it at your preferred consistency.
- Adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped parsley and/or ground black pepper.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.