This Gluten-Free Vegan Squash and Asparagus Casserole is a quick and easy meal to make if you have extra summer squash.
One of the many reasons I love the Farmer's Market is getting produce that I normally wouldn't buy, and creating something new to make with it.
This week, I had a couple of squash and some asparagus in my produce box so I decided to combine them to make this simple comfort meal.
Although it has a few processed vegan ingredients (mayo, butter, cheese) that I'd rather not use and only do occasionally, it's still a great transitional recipe for new vegans or vegans who are trying to move away from processed food and ingredients.
It's such an easy recipe to make because all you have to do is cut up the veggies, mix everything together then put it in the oven to bake for about 30 minutes. That's it!
It's a perfect summer dish and everyone in my family, including my boys, loved it.
This healthier dinner recipe is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free.
Want more healthy snack and side dish recipes? Check out Vegan "Cheesy" Scalloped Potatoes, Roasted Potatoes with Habanero and Basil Pesto, Gluten-Free Vegan Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Toast with Spicy Guacamole or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Squash:
- excellent source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and magnesium
- full of antioxidants
- high fiber content
- 135 mg of beta carotene
- 2,400 mg of lutein (eye health)
5 Fast Facts About Asparagus:
- high in antioxidants
- anti-inflammatory properties
- effective diuretic
- high in folate - 66% RDA
- high in vitamin K - 114% RDA
5 Fast Facts About Onions:
- rich source of healthy sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduces blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Garlic:
- regulates blood sugar levels
- lowers high blood pressure
- contains antibacterial and analgesic properties
- can lower cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
- rich in antioxidants
- improves bone mineralization and calcification
- excellent protection from heart attack and stroke
- anti-inflammatory benefits
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Gluten-Free Vegan Squash and Asparagus Casserole
Yield 2 - 4 servings
Vegan / Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Nut-Free
For the casserole:
- 2 cups organic yellow squash (peeled, cubed)
- 2 cups organic asparagus (diced)
- 1/2 large organic red onion (diced)
- 1 1/2 cups vegan shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 teaspoon organic ground garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare the casserole:
- Prepare the veggies: Peel and cube the squash, dice the asparagus and onion.
- Add all the ingredients for the casserole (including the veggies) to a large mixing bowl and stir until everything is well combined. Adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the ingredients for the topping evenly over the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Best when served hot from the oven.
Get all your organic ingredients delivered straight to your door at up to 25 - 50% off retail by cutting out the middleman and retail markups with a Thrive Market Membership and save 15% off on your first order.
The recipe and photographs for "Gluten-Free Vegan Squash and Asparagus Casserole" by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home website are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License and cannot be used without my written permission.
Recipe Roundups: Food Bloggers are always welcome to use a photo and a link back to my original post to share on recipe roundups without requesting permission.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, "The Healthy Family and Home" website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: "The Healthy Family and Home" website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home™ website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based and Medical Medium® compliant recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.