These Gluten-Free Vegan Black Bean and Rice Cilantro Quesadillas are an easy and quick meal that's customizable, budget-friendly, and can be ready to serve in under 20 minutes!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- It's A Good "Transitional" Vegan Recipe
- Is Ready To Enjoy In Under 20 Minutes
You can feel good about making my healthier recipe because it's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and nut-free.
How To Make This Recipe: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here's how to make this recipe and I'll show you how easy it is with step-by-step instructions below.
Step 1: Prep The Veggies
Firstly, dice the onions, tomatoes, and avocado into small pieces, then chop the cilantro.
Step 2: Assemble The Quesadillas
Secondly, lightly brush avocado oil or coconut oil onto the bottom of a non-toxic skillet.
Place (1) tortilla onto the skillet, then add 1/3 of all the ingredients on top of it, including the shredded cheese.
Thirdly, place another tortilla on top of the quesadilla ingredients and heat only long enough to melt the cheese.
Once the cheese has melted onto the veggies, use a spatula to flip it over to lightly brown the other side, taking care to not let the veggies and other ingredients fall out.
Lastly, remove the quesadilla from the skillet and cut it into the size of your choice.
For example, cut it in half, or into quartered pieces.
Frequently Asked Questions
What If My Kids Don't Like All The Ingredients?
Not to worry! This recipe is 100% customizable.
For example, add or take out any ingredients you don't like or make different varieties for everyone in the family so they get their favorite combination!
Why Are We Using Pre-Made Foods?
This recipe is part of my "TRANSITIONAL" recipe category for those meals that use minimal, quality processed ingredients and don't require a lot of time and preparation.
I like to think of them as "healthy short cut" recipes.
They are still made with quality ingredients but some are already prepared which can be used as a short-cut to save some time in the kitchen.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Lunch Recipes?
Check out these:
- Vegan Tomato Basil Soup
- Creamy Vegan Vegetable Minestrone Soup
- Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+plant-based recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day!
Gluten-Free Vegan Black Bean and Rice Cilantro Quesadillas
- 1 can Eden Organics Black Beans & Rice
- 6 organic gluten-free tortillas
For the add-ins:
- 2 cups Daiya Vegan Cheese Shreds (cheddar or pepperjack)
- 1 organic avocado (diced)
- 1 organic tomato (diced)
- 1/2 organic onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup organic fresh cilantro (chopped)
Prep the veggies:
- Dice the fresh veggies into small pieces and chop the cilantro.
- Place a tortilla in your non-toxic skillet with a touch of avocado oil or coconut oil.
- Add a layer of beans + rice, sprinkle with 1/3 of the veggies, then sprinkle with 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- Top with another tortilla and heat only long enough to melt the cheese and for the outside of the tortilla to get lightly brown.
- Once the cheese has melted onto the veggies, carefully flip the quesadilla over using a spatula and taking care to not let any ingredients fall out.
- Remove the quesadillas from the skillet and cut into half or quarter pieces and serve with fresh homemade salsa or guacamole.
- Repeat for the remaining 2 quesadillas.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home™ website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based and Medical Medium® compliant recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.