This Gluten-Free Vegan Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is an easy and healthy recipe made with clean, real food ingredients. It's a plant-based soup that's perfect for a quick lunch or dinner made without coconut milk and can be ready to enjoy in under 15 minutes!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
My top 3 favorite reasons:
- Can Be Made With Fresh Or Canned Tomatoes
- Is Ready To Enjoy In Under 15 Minutes
- Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients
You can feel good about making my healthy plant-based recipe because it's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, contains no coconut milk, paleo-friendly, and is Medical Medium compliant.
What Goes Into This Recipe
Here is a list of the healthy ingredients that are used to make this recipe:
Please note: I forgot to add fresh basil in the photo but it's included in the ingredients in the recipe.
How To Make This Recipe: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here's how to make this recipe and I'll show you how easy it is with step-by-step instructions below.
Step 1: Prepare The Saute' Mixture
Firstly, add all the ingredients for the saute' mixture to a non-toxic skillet.
Lightly saute' everything on medium/high heat for approximately 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are soft, and taking care to not burn the garlic.
Step 2: Prepare The Soup Mixture
Secondly, add all the ingredients for the soup mixture to a Vitamix.
Next, transfer the saute' mixture to your Vitamix and blend until it's creamy and smooth.
I use the "SOUP" setting on my Vitamix but you could also use the "HIGH" setting.
Step 3: Taste And Adjust The Seasonings
Thirdly, take a taste, and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Here you may want to add additional salt, black pepper, or even more basil.
Step 4: Warm Your Soup
Fourthly, you can warm your soup in two different ways:
- Stovetop - transfer the soup from the Vitamix to a medium-size saucepan and warm on the stovetop to your preferred temperature.
- Vitamix - use the "SOUP" setting on your Vitamix to lightly warm the soup without having to use the stovetop.
Step 5: How To Store
Lastly, store your soup in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
You will need warm and re-stir it before serving.
Karielyn's Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some of my expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Tomatoes: I used organic "fire-roasted" diced tomatoes in a BPA-free can, but you could also use your favorite variety (diced, crushed, whole) or even fresh tomatoes. If you use fresh tomatoes, you will need about 3 1/2 cups diced and you may want to add (1) tablespoon of tomato paste to enhance the tomato flavor.
Vegetable Broth: Use a "low-sodium" broth if you want to reduce the total amount of sodium in the recipe.
Cashews: I used these to replace heavy cream which is used in non-vegan recipes. If you have extra time, or will not be using a Vitamix, you can soak them prior to adding them to your blender which will make them soft and the mixture extra creamy. This is an optional step and can be omitted if you prefer.
Onions: I used "white" onions but you could use your favorite variety. I do not recommend using a "sweet" onion since this is a savory recipe.
Avocado Oil: Can be substituted with organic extra-virgin olive oil in the same amount.
Fresh Basil: If you don't have fresh basil on hand, you can also use Organic Basil Essential Oil which will give the soup a nice, strong basil flavor. Just add 2 drops to you Vitamix instead of fresh basil leaves.
Himalayan Pink Salt: This is my salt of preference, however, you can always substitute with sea salt.
Serving Size: This recipe will make approximately (6) cups of soup. Nutritional information is calculated for 1 1/2 cups which is (1) serving.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Soup Recipes?
Check out these:
- Dr. Group's Liver Cleanse Soup
- Creamy Red Lentil and Kale Soup
- Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! 🙂
Gluten-Free Vegan Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
For the saute' mixture:
- 1 cup organic onions (diced)
- 1/4 cup organic celery (diced)
- 2-4 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1 tablespoon organic avocado oil
- 2 organic bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
For the soup mixture:
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes (28-ounce can)
- 1 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup organic raw cashews
- 1/4 cup organic fresh basil
- Optional Step: Soak the cashews in a bowl of filtered/purified water for 15-30 minutes, then rinse and drain before adding to your Vitamix. This will make the cashews soft and the soup extra smooth. It's an optional step that can be omitted if you prefer.
Prepare the saute' mixture:
- Add all ingredients for the saute' mixture to a skillet and saute' on medium/high heat for approximately 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are soft and taking care to not burn the crushed.
Prepare the soup mixture:
- Add all ingredients for the soup mixture to a Vitamix.
- Next, add the saute' mixture to the Vitamix and blend on the "SOUP" setting or the "HIGH" setting until everything is well combined and the mixture is smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Transfer the soup to a medium-size saucepan to lightly warm on the stovetop or lightly warm it with the "SOUP" setting of your Vitamix.
- Optional: Garnish with diced fresh basil, hemp seeds, red pepper flakes or ground black pepper.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.