This healthy plant-based Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup is an easy comfort food recipe to make and it can be made in under 20 minutes using an Instant Pot to prepare the rice and you can even use cauliflower rice to make this recipe paleo-friendly and Medical Medium compliant!
This is a Sponsored Post by Whole Foods Market.
This post has been updated October 1, 2016 as part of the “5 Affordable Weeknight Dinners from Whole Foods Market” campaign highlighting high-quality ingredients from my recent Whole Foods Market shopping trip.
This Clean Eating Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup is part of the “5 Affordable Weeknight Dinners from Whole Foods Market” theme highlighting recipes made with organic, high-quality groceries using Whole Foods Market 365 Everyday Value brand ingredients and Whole Foods Market fresh, responsibly grown, local and Whole Trade produce. Check out all the details of my shopping trip here.
“5 Affordable Weeknight Dinners from Whole Foods Market”
If you’ve never shopped at Whole Foods before or purchased their 365 Everyday Value brand, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality and value. You can be assured when you buy 365 Everyday Value brand foods they will not contain high-fructose corn syrup, no hydrogenated fats, and no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or sweeteners.
Make sure you check out the other 4 dinner recipes you can make using high-quality ingredients at great prices from Whole Foods Market:
- Vegan Spicy Chickpea and Mango Wraps
- Blueberry and Mango Salad with Tahini Ginger Dressing
- Vegan Smoked Paprika and Black Bean Chili
- Pasta with Asparagus and Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Whole Foods Market has thousands of items on sale every day! Don’t forget to download the Whole Foods Market app and subscribe to the Whole Foods Market newsletter for sales and digital coupons.
Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup
This recipe, Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup, which is part of the “5 Affordable Weeknight Dinners from Whole Foods Market” theme, is a one-pot meal that is ready to serve in about 20 minutes once you’ve made your rice.
And, it’s even better if you already have leftover rice to use, have an Instant Pot or use cauliflower rice..saving you even more time in the kitchen!
If you like easy and quick recipes like this one, you will love my Creamy Red Lentil + Kale Soup which is a favorite on my website and is freezer-friendly too.
Traditional stuffed pepper soup recipes use ground beef and a beef or chicken broth.
For example, ground beef is one of the main ingredients in stuffed peppers.
But vegan’s can enjoy the same tomato flavors and sweet red peppers in this hearty soup without the meat.
And, you can even make this a spicy stuffed pepper soup by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper in the recipe.
How To Make Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup: Step-by-Step Instructions
Step 1: Prepare the Rice
In this step, you actually have 3 options.
Firstly, you first need to decide what kind of rice you will be making – regular organic rice or cauliflower rice.
Preparing Organic Rice: If you will be using regular organic rice, you will then need to decide if you will make it the traditional way (stove-top rice) or make the rice in an Instant Pot. Either way will work fine.
- Regular Stove-Top Method: Cook the rice on the stovetop according to the package directions.
- Instant Pot Method: Cook the rice on the “RICE” setting of your Instant Pot, using a 1:1 ratio of rice to water.
Preparing Cauliflower Rice: If you will be using organic cauliflower rice, you will need to decide if you will make it from scratch (using a food processor) or use organic frozen cauliflower rice. Either way will work fine.
- Fresh Cauliflower Rice: Cut the head of fresh cauliflower into bite-size pieces and add them to your food processor. Process until they become the texture of rice. Take out a handful at a time and squeeze out any excess water before using in the recipe.
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice: Add the frozen cauliflower rice to the recipe at the same time the instructions say “add the rice” and it will thaw and cook while the soup is simmering.
Step 2: Prepare the Vegetables + Herbs
Secondly, dice the onion, tomatoes, bell pepper, and parsley.
Set the veggies aside until it’s time to add them to the recipe.
Step 3: Prepare the Soup
Thirdly, after the rice is cooked and the veggies + herbs are prepped, it’s time to make the soup.
You’ll add the avocado oil, diced onions, and garlic to a medium-sized pot or saute pan.
Saute’ for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
Lastly, add the remaining ingredients, including the rice, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
Taste the soup to adjust the seasonings if you prefer.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions for Making Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup:
Organic Rice: Use either organic brown rice or organic white rice, whichever you prefer. Another option is to use organic quinoa. You can also substitute organic rice with organic cauliflower rice to make this recipe low-carb, paleo-friendly and Medical Medium compliant.
Avocado Oil: Substitute with organic extra-virgin olive oil.
Roma Tomatoes: Feel free to use whatever variety of tomatoes you prefer. If you’re short on time, you can use store-bought diced tomatoes. Just make sure you buy organic and in a glass jar or BPA-free can, if possible.
Cayenne Pepper: Reduce or omit this ingredient if you don’t like spicy food or will be serving this dish to children.
Dietary Substitutions for Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup:
Lectin-Free: This recipe is not lectin-free compliant, due to the tomatoes and red peppers.
Medical Medium: You can make this recipe Medical Medium compliant by substituting the organic rice with organic cauliflower rice.
Paleo: You can make this recipe paleo-friendly by substituting the organic rice with organic cauliflower rice.
Vegan + Gluten-Free: This recipe is 100% vegan + gluten-free.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Vegan Soup Recipes?
Check out these:
- Vegan Black Bean Soup
- Spicy Chickpea and Tomato Soup
- Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based vegan + gluten-free recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Vegan Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 2 cups 365 Everyday Value organic white rice (cooked)
For the soup:
- 1 cup organic onion (diced)
- 3 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure avocado oil
- 4 organic roma tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 cup organic red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 tablespoons organic fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons 365 Everyday Value organic tomato paste
- 3-4 cups 365 Everyday Value organic vegetable broth
- 1-2 pinches 365 Everyday Value organic cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Prepare the rice*:
- Stove Top Method: Prepare and cook (2) cups of organic white or brown rice according to your preferred method or package instructions.
- Instant Pot Method: Prepare and cook (2) cups of organic white or brown rice in an Instant Pot on the "RICE" setting using a 1:1 ratio of rice to water.
Prepare the veggies + herbs:
- Dice the onion, tomatoes and red bell pepper and chop the parsley and set aside.
Prepare the soup:
- Add the avocado oil, onions and garlic to a medium-size pot and saute' on medium/high heat for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the cooked rice, and simmer on low/medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Optional: Garnish with extra fresh chopped parsley.
- Store in an air-tight BPA-free container in the refrigerator.
- Stove Top Method: Prepare and cook the rice in advance according to the package directions.
- Instant Pot: Prepare and cook the rice in advance according to the Instant Pot instructions.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post by Whole Foods Market. I was provided ingredients to make the recipes in this post and was compensated for my time. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this website possible!