This Gluten-Free Vegan Potatoes Au Gratin dish is a healthier vegan makeover for the traditional comfort food we all grew up with and loved, except I’ve cleaned it up and veganized it for you!
If you have ever found yourself looking down at a bag of potatoes and wondering what to make with them, this recipe will make your day 🙂
Instead of making boring baked potatoes, you can have this creamy and “cheesy” meal prepared in less about 10 minutes.
Even though you have baking time, it’s still pretty fast and easy to make. There are basically two steps to making this recipe – prepping the veggies and making the vegan cheese sauce in a Vitamix, which takes less than 5 minutes, then just pouring the sauce over the veggies. That’s it!
All you have left to do is put it in the oven for about an hour while you multi-task with something else – the cooking time is non-active so you really don’t need to do anything to it while it’s baking in the oven.
If you make a traditional dish of potatoes au gratin, they usually contain an ingredient list like this and isn’t vegan or gluten-free:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Potatoes Au Grain Ingredients:
Ingredients: Butter, Flour, Cheese, Milk
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes Ingredients:
Ingredients: Potatoes, Corn Starch, Whey, Salt, Soybeans, Oil, Partially Hydrogenated, Dried Cheddar Cheese (Milk Pasteurized, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Flour Enriched (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Vitamin B3, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B1, Riboflavin, Vitamin B2, Folic Acid, Vitamix B9, Maltodextrin, Corn Starch Modified, Dried Onions, Disodium Phosphate, Milk Non Fat, Dried Garlic, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Citrate, Dried Blue Cheese (Milk Pasteurized, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Lactic Acid, Natural Flavors, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Soy Flour, Sodium Bisulfite to preserve freshness.
The processed, store-bought version is even worse and is basically a box of GMO’s (corn starch, soybeans, soy flour, maltodextrin,), dairy and food colorings.
This healthier dish is made with clean, real food ingredients and is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, oil-free and paleo-friendly.
Want more healthy meal and entree recipes? Check out Roasted Potatoes with Habanero and Basil Pesto, Spicy Turmeric Twice Baked Potatoes, Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce or my Clean Eating Cookbook with an entire chapter of 20 healthy, clean eating meal and entree recipes just like this one that you will love!
5 Fast Facts About Potatoes:*
- one potato contains 16% dv of fiber
- one potato contains 39% of vitamin B6
- good source of zinc, copper and magnesium
- contains more potassium than a banana
- 20% of a potatoes nutrients are in it’s skin
5 Fast Facts About Onions:*
- rich source of sulfur compounds
- excellent for cardiovascular health
- inhibits bone loss in women
- reduced blood pressure
- lowers blood cholesterol levels
5 Fast Facts About Red Bell Peppers:*
- high in anti-oxidants
- 1 cup contains 195.8% DV of vitamin C
- excellent source of carotenoids
- contains potential anti-cancer benefits
- helps reduce inflammation
5 Fast Facts About Almonds (Almond Milk):*
- helps to regulate cholesterol and blood pressure
- energy booster
- loaded with calcium and fiber
- 1/4 cup contains 8 grams of vegan protein
- high in anti-oxidants
5 Fast Facts About Nutritional Yeast:*
- vegan source of vitamin B12
- contains 18 amino acids and is a complete protein
- boosts immune system
- excellent anti-oxidant
- contains 15 minerals
5 Fast Facts About Cashews:*
- packed with dietary fiber
- rich in “heart friendly” mono-saturated fatty acids
- rich source of minerals
- high in magnesium and copper
- excellent source of antioxidants
5 Fast Facts About Paprika:*
- boosts blood circulation
- one teaspoon contains 20% DV of vitamin A
- aids digestion
5 Fast Facts About Himalayan Pink Salt:*
- contains 84 minerals
- unrefined, unprocessed, raw
- promotes stable pH balance in cells
- controls water levels in the body
- aids digestion and facilitates better nutrient absorption
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, “The Healthy Family and Home” website would receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Amazon Disclosure: “The Healthy Family and Home” website is a participant in the Amazon Services, LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Thank you for your support of this website!