This Gluten-Free Vegan Potatoes Au Gratin is an easy and healthy recipe made with clean, real food ingredients. It's a creamy and cheesy plant-based dish that can be prepared in under 10 minutes and is perfect as a main meal or side dish!
Here's Why This Recipe Works
Here's why this recipe works - my top 3 reasons:
- Healthy Comfort Food Makeover Recipe - This Gluten-Free Vegan Potatoes Au Gratin dish is a healthier vegan makeover for the traditional comfort food we all grew up with and loved, except I've cleaned it up and veganized it for you! If you have ever found yourself looking down at a bag of potatoes and wondering what to make with them, this recipe will make your day 🙂
- Can Be Prepared In About 10 Minutes - Instead of making boring baked potatoes, you can have this creamy and "cheesy" meal prepared in less about 10 minutes. Even though you have baking time, it's still pretty fast and easy to make. There are basically two steps to making this recipe - prepping the veggies and making the vegan cheese sauce in a Vitamix, which takes less than 5 minutes, then just pouring the sauce over the veggies. That's it! All you have left to do is put it in the oven for about an hour while you multi-task with something else - the cooking time is non-active so you really don't need to do anything to it while it's baking in the oven.
- Made With Clean, Real Food Ingredients - If you buy a processed store-bought brand of au gratin potatoes, they usually contain an ingredient list like this and aren't vegan or gluten-free:
S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes Ingredients: Potatoes, Corn Starch, Whey, Salt, Soybeans, Oil, Partially Hydrogenated, Dried Cheddar Cheese (Milk Pasteurized, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Flour Enriched (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Vitamin B3, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B1, Riboflavin, Vitamin B2, Folic Acid, Vitamix B9, Maltodextrin, Corn Starch Modified, Dried Onions, Disodium Phosphate, Milk Non-Fat, Dried Garlic, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Citrate, Dried Blue Cheese (Milk Pasteurized, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Lactic Acid, Natural Flavors, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Soy Flour, Sodium Bisulfite to preserve freshness.
A processed, store-bought version is basically a box of GMO's (corn starch, soybeans, soy flour, maltodextrin,), dairy and food colorings.
My healthier plant-based recipe is made with clean, real food ingredients and is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, oil-free and paleo-friendly.
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfectly:
Potatoes: Wash and dry them well before slicing. Leaving the skins on, slice them very thinly, about 1/8-inch thick, which will help them cook quicker.
Onion: I like to use red onions in this recipe, but you can use your favorite onions variety or whatever you have on hand. I do not recommend sweet onions since this is a savory recipe.
Avocado Oil: It can be substituted with organic extra-virgin olive oil in the same amount.
Almond Milk: I prefer to make homemade almond milk, but you can use your favorite non-dairy milk. Just make sure it's "unsweetened" since this is a savory recipe. Another great option is to use Joi Organic Almond Milk which is made with 100% organic almonds.
Tapioca Powder: I added this ingredient to thicken the cheese sauce. It could also be substituted with arrowroot flour or even non-GMO cornstarch if your diet allows corn.
Himalayan Pink Salt: This is my salt of preference, however, it can always be substituted with sea salt.
Optional Toppings: There are several different toppings that would work well with this recipe, but I wouldn't use them all together, just choose one. For example, chopped chives, chopped parsley, chopped green onions or my homemade gluten-free bread crumbs.
Serving Size. This recipe will make approximately (4) servings. Nutritional information is for (1) serving.
Want More Healthy Plant-Based Recipes?
Check out these:
- Roasted Potatoes with Habanero and Basil Pesto
- Spicy Turmeric Twice Baked Potatoes
- Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Smoked Paprika Habanero Sauce
- or my CLEAN EATING Cookbook with 75+ plant-based recipes made with clean, real food ingredients just like this one that you will love!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please give it a rating and leave a comment below...it would make my day! 🙂
Gluten-Free Vegan Potatoes Au Gratin
For the vegetable mixture:
- 4 medium organic potatoes (sliced thin)
- 1 organic red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 medium organic red onion (diced)
For the cheese sauce:
- 1 1/2 cup homemade almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons organic tapioca powder
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 1 clove organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1 teaspoon organic paprika
- 1 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 handful organic parsley (chopped)
- 1 handful organic chives (chopped)
- 1 handful organic green onions (chopped)
- 1 handful homemade gluten-free bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and set aside an 8 x 8 baking dish.
Prep the veggies:
- Slice potatoes very thin (1/8 inch or less), then dice the red bell peppers and onions.
- Place the veggies in a medium-size mixing bowl, then set aside.
Prepare the cheese sauce:
- Add all the ingredients for the cheese sauce to a Vitamix and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Pour the vegan cheese sauce into the mixing bowl and gently toss with the veggies, making sure the sauce is evenly distributed and all veggies are covered.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with the topping of your choice.
Hi, I'm Karielyn! I'm the published cookbook author of CLEAN DESSERTS and content creator of The Healthy Family and Home™ website since 2012. I specialize in creating easy, healthy plant-based and Medical Medium® compliant recipes that are gluten-free + vegan and made with clean, real food ingredients that you can feel good about eating.